Brompton 2017 bikes new features

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There are many things that could be done to improve Bromptons as far as I am concerned, including disk brakes, a stem that would allow for a 1 1/8 inch threadless stem so it could be more adjustable and so one could change the handlebars without removing every thing on one side,more IGH options etc, but I really like the massive frame with its solid hinge that can be tightened without wearing out soft aluminum parts like most other folders.I think the weight is reasonable considering the longevity I expect from the bike and its ability to carry a lot of weight in the front. If it is heavy to pedal I can lose a few pounds. I expect to leave this bike to my offspring, as a matter of fact.

How many women do you see at stations with a Brompton on a morning commute? It's a very small proportion of Brompton owners, and yet the gender split of all commuters is more equal.

Melvil

How many women do you see at stations with a Brompton on a morning commute? It's a very small proportion of Brompton owners, and yet the gender split of all commuters is more equal.

Hmmmm. Come to Edinburgh. It's more like 65/35 Men/Women

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
As I've stated quite a few times on Brompton threads, it's massively over-engineered. The central beam can be drastically reduced in weight, and there's also weight savings to be made in the steerer tube and elsewhere without affecting backwards compatibility. Those would save at least 1.5kg and attract far more people who would struggle to routinely carry 10kg along platforms and onto trains.
Love what you are saying but reckon they'd need to slap a weight limit on any slimmed-down B

Love what you are saying but reckon they'd need to slap a weight limit on any slimmed-down B

The current Brompton could probably carry 150 kg.

My 35 year old highly modified Bickerton (complete with 8 speed wheel which weighs at least 2kg on it's own) weighs less than a Brompton, and I've carried 15kg of luggage on it without any issues. That only has a thin aluminium girder, so there's definitely scope for Brompton to use a thinner piece of gas pipe. Many road bikes have a 100kg limit, so that shouldn't be an issue.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The current Brompton could probably carry 150 kg.

My 35 year old highly modified Bickerton (complete with 8 speed wheel which weighs at least 2kg on it's own) weighs less than a Brompton, and I've carried 15kg of luggage on it without any issues. That only has a thin aluminium girder, so there's definitely scope for Brompton to use a thinner piece of gas pipe. Many road bikes have a 100kg limit, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Ahem... There are plenty of road bikes I can't ride.

OP
OP
C

chris folder

Hi :hello:new video on you tube called. Brompton 2017 black edition review. Showing new bike gear shifters etc i notice the m bars look shorter now? Im not sure i like the bell postion on the new bikes theres a few new new bits added like infront on dog leg leaver if you look

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chris folder

Hi:hello: I see a few brompton dealers are saleing the new 2017 bikes the m bars are shorter on the new bikes they must have made handle stem longer? i cant see how you flick the new bell where it's postioned to looks like you have to put hand over brakes to it?

There are many things that could be done to improve Bromptons as far as I am concerned, including disk brakes, a stem that would allow for a 1 1/8 inch threadless stem so it could be more adjustable and so one could change the handlebars without removing every thing on one side,more IGH options etc, but I really like the massive frame with its solid hinge that can be tightened without wearing out soft aluminum parts like most other folders.I think the weight is reasonable considering the longevity I expect from the bike and its ability to carry a lot of weight in the front. If it is heavy to pedal I can lose a few pounds. I expect to leave this bike to my offspring, as a matter of fact.
I like all your post except, disc brakes? Wouldn't this also mean that the fork and maybe the whole front end would have to be seriously redesigned/re-engineered? Which might also change the feel of the ride? Mine is a somewhat older Brommie (round about the turn of the century) with the older poorer brakes but to be honest I find them pretty decent.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I like all your post except, disc brakes? Wouldn't this also mean that the fork and maybe the whole front end would have to be seriously redesigned/re-engineered? Which might also change the feel of the ride? Mine is a somewhat older Brommie (round about the turn of the century) with the older poorer brakes but to be honest I find them pretty decent.

Kinetics conversion is just a rear disc which is perfectly fine, combined with an rohloff or Alfine hub I think. Ice but expensive, especially the rohloff.

Mines a 2005, first of the titanium lightweights, I upgraded to the new (2014) brake levers which made a big difference to braking performance.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I stand corrected. Front disc makes sense to be fair for stopping power. I'm out, it would mean ditching my titanium forks (or selling them I guess) and it's expensive.

Top Bottom