Brompton 3.5 year ownership report

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ukoldschool

Havnt logged in here for ages so thought id give an update.

I bought my S6 new in Aug 2018, with the aim of commuting to an from the station at both ends of my train ride to and from work. during the first year4 that's exactly what I did, and nothing very much went wrong with it. I made a couple of light modifications to it over that time, adding Ergon GP2 grips and end bars, adding a brompton seat pin to push the seat back further (long legs), adding a cheap rack from ali express to make rolling while folded easier (and of course give a platform for carrying things, one day...).
Then I started to ride the 13km from Blackfriars to my workplace in Tooting and back, accidently at first (as there were train problems) but soon on a regular basis mainly for the exercise. This increase in mileage meant an increase in wear and tear, and naturally I changed brake pads (I went for fibrax inserts), and seemed to eat through front wheel bearings meaning new spindles as the cones took the brunt of the wear. I went for the JTEC ones from SJS, but they still gradually come undone and the British weather washes the grease out accelerating the wear, I'm on my 3rd now.
At some point I needed a new chain, and that also mean new rear sprockets (which were worn down to nubs), and I decided to change the standard 13/16 for 12/15 which gives the same gearing as having a 54t front chainring, I find this means I don't spin out on a couple of fast inclines descents, and gives me a higher top end on the rare occasion that I get the wind behind me on a nice flat bit... I'm now at the point where I've covered 10,000 km, and the bottom bracket needs to be replaced (which I will do with a Shimano UN300) as its suffered the same fate as the front wheel bearings...
I switched to SPD pedals about a year ago which makes you feel much more connected to the bike on the longer rides, but I feel this has probably contributed in some way to the bottom brackets demise, trying to race Roadies on the commute..
I tried a set of Kojaks last year, they were great but I suffered 6 punctures in the 6 weeks I had them, so they went in the shed and the Marathon plus went back on.
So in my 10,000km its had:
  • 4 sets of brake pads
  • 3 chains
  • 2 sets of rear sprockets
  • 3 front axle assemblies/bearings
  • 2 sets of Marathon plus tyres
  • 1 x bottom bracket (soon)
My bike gets ridden in the sun/gloom/rain/snow/ice. I pump the tyres once a week on a sunday to 100 psi, and that's about it. Its a great bike.

Tenkaykev

Guru

I bought my S6 new in Aug 2018, with the aim of commuting to an from the station at both ends of my train ride to and from work. during the first year4 that's exactly what I did, and nothing very much went wrong with it. I made a couple of light modifications to it over that time, adding Ergon GP2 grips and end bars, adding a brompton seat pin to push the seat back further (long legs), adding a cheap rack from ali express to make rolling while folded easier (and of course give a platform for carrying things, one day...).
Then I started to ride the 13km from Blackfriars to my workplace in Tooting and back, accidently at first (as there were train problems) but soon on a regular basis mainly for the exercise. This increase in mileage meant an increase in wear and tear, and naturally I changed brake pads (I went for fibrax inserts), and seemed to eat through front wheel bearings meaning new spindles as the cones took the brunt of the wear. I went for the JTEC ones from SJS, but they still gradually come undone and the British weather washes the grease out accelerating the wear, I'm on my 3rd now.
At some point I needed a new chain, and that also mean new rear sprockets (which were worn down to nubs), and I decided to change the standard 13/16 for 12/15 which gives the same gearing as having a 54t front chainring, I find this means I don't spin out on a couple of fast inclines descents, and gives me a higher top end on the rare occasion that I get the wind behind me on a nice flat bit... I'm now at the point where I've covered 10,000 km, and the bottom bracket needs to be replaced (which I will do with a Shimano UN300) as its suffered the same fate as the front wheel bearings...
I switched to SPD pedals about a year ago which makes you feel much more connected to the bike on the longer rides, but I feel this has probably contributed in some way to the bottom brackets demise, trying to race Roadies on the commute..
I tried a set of Kojaks last year, they were great but I suffered 6 punctures in the 6 weeks I had them, so they went in the shed and the Marathon plus went back on.
  • 4 sets of brake pads
  • 3 chains
My bike gets ridden in the sun/gloom/rain/snow/ice. I pump the tyres once a week on a sunday to 100 psi, and that's about it. Its a great bike.
Thanks very much for the post. Very useful and informative. I swapped out my M+ for the new Continental Urbans, fingers crossed no punctures in the several months that they've been fitted.

Kell

Veteran
Thanks very much for the post. Very useful and informative. I swapped out my M+ for the new Continental Urbans, fingers crossed no punctures in the several months that they've been fitted.
I think they'll be next on my list.

Can't seem to find them for a decent price though.

Punctures aside, do you notice a difference? Better rolling for instance?

Kell

Veteran
and seemed to eat through front wheel bearings meaning new spindles as the cones took the brunt of the wear. I went for the JTEC ones from SJS, but they still gradually come undone and the British weather washes the grease out accelerating the wear, I'm on my 3rd now.

I bought new cone spanners to ensure I did mine up properly when I had to change them recently and they've come loose again.

I'd love to know if I'm doing something wrong.

Fields Electric

My Brompton 6 speed is coming up to 5 years. ODO states 6500 miles Approx 10 Km, New Dec 2017
5 chains
2 sets of sprockets
1 seat post sleeve
3 rd set of brake blocks Front 4 on the back.
1 New saddle, (stitching failed on the original)
1 new bottom swivel pin and bushes.
1 new front chain ring.
3 new tyres. The latest are Schwalbe marathons plus.
I rotate front to rear, that way the front does not rot, before it wears out.

In future

I will take more care of cleaning the seat stem and sleeve.
I will rotate the chain ring on every new chain. (annually).

Next Jobs.
The rear brake rim is very thin on the drive side. Its a race between which wears out first the, Tyre or the rim. I will replace both at the same
time. I will also replace the cones in the wheel gear hub whilst the wheel is in bits.
The bottom bracket was replaced under the Brompton safety call.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I think they'll be next on my list.

Can't seem to find them for a decent price though.

Punctures aside, do you notice a difference? Better rolling for instance?
Yes, they feel a much more forgiving ride than the M+. I keep front tyre around 70 and rear about 80psi.

ExBrit

Über Member
adding a brompton seat pin to push the seat back further
Thanks for the update. I'm interested in the seat pin upgrade because it's something I've been trying to do myself with no luck. Every attempt to push the seat back has forced the saddle nose up. Can you tell us more about this. I'm using a Brooks B17 which only has a short usable rail length.

Thanks again

berlinonaut

Veteran
Thanks for the update. I'm interested in the seat pin upgrade because it's something I've been trying to do myself with no luck. Every attempt to push the seat back has forced the saddle nose up. Can you tell us more about this. I'm using a Brooks B17 which only has a short usable rail length.
The original Brompton seat pin adaptor is no longer available for a couple of years already.
QSAPA.jpg

There is a more or less identical product from Vincent van Eerd, but at 8-10 times the price of the original: https://debromptonwinkel.wixsite.co...e-Forward-Adapter-Pin-for-Brompton-p322072265

Regarding your problem: The manual of the original adaptor said it must not be used mounted backwards as the resulting lever may damage the frame. It has always been intended to mounted forwards to shorten the distance between saddle and bars. Two other effects were that you are able to rise the saddle a tiny bit (when mounted upwards) or do shrink the folded size a bit (when mounted downwards) as you can see from this snippet from the Brompton 2002 manual:

43097922oq.png

In the next version of the manual Brompton states:

NON-STANDARD SEAT PILLAR OPTIONS Saddle adaptor pin:

There are two ways of using the optional saddle adaptor pin (SAPP). If you are looking for the most compact folded configuration or wish to have the saddle further forward, then mount the SAPP inclined "downwards", and attach the saddle at the appropriate position on the SAPP. If you wish for extra height (up to 30mm), mount the SAPP inclined upwards. The correct torque for the nut on the SAPP's clip bolt is 13-14NM.

Under no circumstances fit the SAPP projecting backwards from the seat pillar: this could produce stresses for which the bicycle is not designed.

So mounting it like that (what you probably intend) is possibly not a good idea:
View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cleverchimp/1429704016/in/photostream/

ExBrit

Über Member
The original Brompton seat pin adaptor is no longer available for a couple of years already.
View attachment 632711

There is a more or less identical product from Vincent van Eerd, but at 8-10 times the price of the original: https://debromptonwinkel.wixsite.co...e-Forward-Adapter-Pin-for-Brompton-p322072265

Regarding your problem: The manual of the original adaptor said it must not be used mounted backwards as the resulting lever may damage the frame. It has always been intended to mounted forwards to shorten the distance between saddle and bars. Two other effects were that you are able to rise the saddle a tiny bit (when mounted upwards) or do shrink the folded size a bit (when mounted downwards) as you can see from this snippet from the Brompton 2002 manual:

View attachment 632712

In the next version of the manual Brompton states:

NON-STANDARD SEAT PILLAR OPTIONS Saddle adaptor pin:

There are two ways of using the optional saddle adaptor pin (SAPP). If you are looking for the most compact folded configuration or wish to have the saddle further forward, then mount the SAPP inclined "downwards", and attach the saddle at the appropriate position on the SAPP. If you wish for extra height (up to 30mm), mount the SAPP inclined upwards. The correct torque for the nut on the SAPP's clip bolt is 13-14NM.

Under no circumstances fit the SAPP projecting backwards from the seat pillar: this could produce stresses for which the bicycle is not designed.

So mounting it like that (what you probably intend) is possibly not a good idea:
View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cleverchimp/1429704016/in/photostream/

Thanks - $45 and out of stock. Either very popular or not at all popular. I wonder if I could do an additive Ti print. What could go wrong :sad:

mitchibob

Über Member

• 4 sets of brake pads
  • 3 chains
You're right, it is a great bike.

My main bike was bought as 2018 M6E, which has become, over minor steps, an S6L. After about 25,000km, with various tyres, and maybe a couple of different front wheels, probably similar number of pads, maybe a few more chains and sprockets, it's going well, although, just about to properly service with some new brake cables, wheels. Ridden through some horrible crap, and it's fantastic bike.

Bearings though, in BB and elsewhere, have been great on this bike. Shimano XT T8000 SPD pedals have been fantastic. Like the fact they favour easy clip in, but also easy flip-back to ride comfortably in Birkenstocks. Birkenstock really need to do a decent SPD sandal, but also light, and smooth, and have been on the bike since I rode from the shop, and still work perfectly.

The only time I needed BB changing was on my 2016 M2L that came with dodgy one that was recalled after I'd already had to have it replaced, because it was truly terrible. On my 2018 model, BB is absolutely sound after about 25,000km.

3 chains vs 2 sprockets seems out of kilter. Just keep drivetrain cleaner and replace them simultaneously after about 5,000km

3 front axles? again, do you clean your bike?

2 sets of Marathon plus tyres.... just get standard Marathons, they're fantastic all rounder! Marathon Plus are just pointless and slow. If something will puncture a standard Marathon, it's going to puncture Marathon Plus too. Or enjoy ride more and get the Conti urban tyres... although, for 2022 Urban Hill Climb (24th Sept 2022, and hopefully they keep folding bike category... fantastic day out, recommended!!!), I might have to treat myself to some tan-wall numbers ;-)

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
Ukoldschool, can you explain about the JTEC wheel bearings.... are they cartridges that replace the cone and loose ball set up? I would guess I have over 10k miles on mine and I have replaced the front wheel because I couldn't get cones for it (although I found some later), the seat post, the plastic insert, and the rear hinge spindle. I have new brake levers, a Chris King Gripnut cartridge headset, a Shimano UN 25 bottom bracket, 110 bcd crankarms with 58 and 38 chain rings an SA 177% rear wheel and a single speed I can go single, 2 speed or 3 speed and a leather saddle. As you might guess l enjoy trying different things with it and generally find it, with the exceptions of the rear hinge spindle insert very easy to work on. I don't know if it made a difference, but I drilled a hole through the frame over the hinge spindle and force oil in to lube the bushings occasionally. Also have Ergon cork grips and 2 way SPDs.
As far as tires go, I currently have Marathon racers, which I find much easier to take on and off, another set with Schwalbe studded snows, and I've used regular Marathons and Marathon plusses which I don't like removing or installing.
I would have to say of the 6 bikes I like to ride, the Brompton is my favorite.

ExBrit

Über Member
Even if it was available: The Eerder version is called "saddle forward adaptor" - probably for a reason. ;)

Go for it! In case something goes wrong you will have an interesting (and hopefully funny) story to tell! ^_^
Turns out a spool of Ti thread is about $400. Plus you need a sintering oven.
It might be cheaper to get surgery to shorten my legs.
I may just end up getting a telescoping post.

OP
OP
ukoldschool

ukoldschool

Thanks - $45 and out of stock. Either very popular or not at all popular. I wonder if I could do an additive Ti print. What could go wrong :sad:

Mines been fitted now backwards for 2 years with no issues. Previously I had the seat as far back as was possible in the reversed pentalip, this just puts it about half an inch further back so its certainly not like a bmx layback ^_^

OP
OP
ukoldschool

ukoldschool

You're right, it is a great bike.

My main bike was bought as 2018 M6E, which has become, over minor steps, an S6L. After about 25,000km, with various tyres, and maybe a couple of different front wheels, probably similar number of pads, maybe a few more chains and sprockets, it's going well, although, just about to properly service with some new brake cables, wheels. Ridden through some horrible crap, and it's fantastic bike.

Bearings though, in BB and elsewhere, have been great on this bike. Shimano XT T8000 SPD pedals have been fantastic. Like the fact they favour easy clip in, but also easy flip-back to ride comfortably in Birkenstocks. Birkenstock really need to do a decent SPD sandal, but also light, and smooth, and have been on the bike since I rode from the shop, and still work perfectly.

The only time I needed BB changing was on my 2016 M2L that came with dodgy one that was recalled after I'd already had to have it replaced, because it was truly terrible. On my 2018 model, BB is absolutely sound after about 25,000km.

3 chains vs 2 sprockets seems out of kilter. Just keep drivetrain cleaner and replace them simultaneously after about 5,000km

3 front axles? again, do you clean your bike?

2 sets of Marathon plus tyres.... just get standard Marathons, they're fantastic all rounder! Marathon Plus are just pointless and slow. If something will puncture a standard Marathon, it's going to puncture Marathon Plus too. Or enjoy ride more and get the Conti urban tyres... although, for 2022 Urban Hill Climb (24th Sept 2022, and hopefully they keep folding bike category... fantastic day out, recommended!!!), I might have to treat myself to some tan-wall numbers ;-)

Nah, the rain keeps it clean :laugh:

Top Bottom