Brompton 6 speed - drivetrain jammed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maffyoube

Regular
Im a newbie brompton owner - bought a second hand six speed a few months ago.

On Monday I noticed a rather nasty grinding sound. I didnt have time to investigate. On Tuesday the grinding sound continued and on the occasional pedal stroke it felt like the chain wasnt engaging on the rear - i.e. no power..... I didnt have time to investigate. Today this happened again but this time the whole drive train is jammed and pedals wont turn at all so time to investigate! But looking at it i cant work out what is causing the jam. Any advice?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Can you see the path of the chain over the 2 rear sprockets and around the deraillieur/tensioner system? Any snagging?
Is the chain running in the rollers of the tensioner?
If you take the chain off the chainset does the chainset still turn? If so then it’s not the bottom bracket.
Can you change either LH or RH gear shifter?

Are you able to take the rear wheel out and check the hub (15mm spanner)?

OP
OP
M

maffyoube

Regular
Thanks both - didnt take long to diagnosis - most definitely the bottom bracket as no movement even after removing chain from chainring.... Oh dear....

Kell

Veteran
I had assumed that if it was purchase SH it would fall outside the recall serial numbers. But that was based on nothing...:laugh:

OP
OP
M

maffyoube

Regular
Well it's booked in for Tuesday. I don't know how old the bike is so I don't know if it will be in the recall. Unfortunately I can't read the serial number as the bike was re-sprayed by the previous owner. I didn't notice this when I bought the bike as it's a very professional job.... it was only pointed out to me when I took it in to a shop for a new seat post collar. The mechanic suggested to me that it was possible that the bike could have been nicked :angry:. I would be surprised if this was the case though as I chatted to the guy I bought it off for a long while and he seemed a decent chap and certainly knew the bike well.....

Kell

Veteran
Well it's booked in for Tuesday. I don't know how old the bike is so I don't know if it will be in the recall. Unfortunately I can't read the serial number as the bike was re-sprayed by the previous owner. I didn't notice this when I bought the bike as it's a very professional job.... it was only pointed out to me when I took it in to a shop for a new seat post collar. The mechanic suggested to me that it was possible that the bike could have been nicked :angry:. I would be surprised if this was the case though as I chatted to the guy I bought it off for a long while and he seemed a decent chap and certainly knew the bike well.....

I very much doubt a thief would have resprayed it.

Top Bottom