Brompton Voluntary Recall Notice

Discussion in 'Folding Bikes' started by Dogtrousers, 27 Sep 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers Kilometre nibbler

I received this email today ...

Edit. I ran the check and my bike is affected. I'll keep you posted how it goes.

Voluntary Recall Notice
    FAG Bottom Bracket cartridge BB66 (April 2014 – May 2017)

Bottom_Bracket2.jpg

bottom_bracket_new.jpg

Through our warranty and quality assurance process we have become aware of an issue affecting a component manufactured between April 2014 – May 2017.

The axle of the 3rd party supplied FAG Bottom Bracket has had higher than expected reported incidence of failure. Although this still meets international safety standards this does not meet the standards which Brompton sets for its components.

We have therefore initiated a programme to recall all affected bikes and replace the bottom bracket cartridge with a new and tested part, free of charge to all of our affected customers.

It is possible to identify if your bike is affected by using the checker on our website or referring to the serial number. The serial number can be found on a curved plate applied to the frame, as shown in the image below:

Last edited: 27 Sep 2017
  2. Oxo

Oxo Veteran

I've had a copy of the email today. We have two and they are both included in the recall.

Dogtrousers likes this.
  3. simon.r

simon.r Person

Me too, but I’ve already replaced the BB with a UN55 because when I took the original out to grease it I damaged the plastic shell beyond repair: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/brompton-bottom-bracket-replacement.221615/

There have recently been comments on Twitter about axles shearing, so I assume that’s the reason for the recall.

I can forgive (or even admire) many of the Brompton’s quirks, but not plastic BB shells on £1,000 bike:sad:

4. NotAnother Cyclist

NotAnother Cyclist Active Member

5. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Last edited: 27 Sep 2017
    NickNick and NotAnother Cyclist like this.
  6. simon.r

simon.r Person

Interestingly, on Twitter Brompton are saying that only bikes built by them are affected and not BB’s sold as spares.

I assume they had a faulty batch delivered by FAG.

7. ABikeCam

ABikeCam Get dahn, Ernie, he's going for his piece!

Fantastic. My serial number is in the first 150 of the affected range... Plus I've just had a falling out with my local dealer so this is going to be fun! Thank you for the heads up @Dogtrousers

the_mikey and raleighnut like this.
  8. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.

My BWC S6 is affected. There is a local dealer, I'll pop in to see them.

9. mitchibob

mitchibob Active Member

Hmm... my bottom bracket lasted was knackered after only a few months. Already paid out to get it replaced as was told it wasn't under warranty

10. User33236

User33236 Guest

My bike is registered, and according to its serial number is affected, but I've had no email.

Anyone read anywhere if they regard them as safe to ride in the meantime? I believe one person has already been injured as a result of the failure.

11. ABikeCam

ABikeCam Get dahn, Ernie, he's going for his piece!

Brompton say they meet standards, just not the high standards associated with Brompton. So, I'd say yes, but it's a personal decision and I am not a lawyer. My bike is off the road awaiting a new rear wheel so I'm hoping to get the BB done at the same time.

12. User33236

User33236 Guest

I'm possibly leaning towards the fact that my Brompton has done just short of 700 miles and with chances of failure being 1 in 5000 BB's it should be safe for another 14 mile round trip commute till I can speak with the local dealer tomorrow.

13. YukonBoy

YukonBoy The Monch

Don't do it, mean time till failure is 713 miles...

User33236 likes this.
  14. NotAnother Cyclist

NotAnother Cyclist Active Member

5,000 miles when mine failed. A lot of hill climbing, though. Although I never stand up to climb

15. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

Now you tell me. I've just ridden up the col du gare de Waterloo on a recalled two-speed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice