Brompton Voluntary Recall Notice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I received this email today ...

Edit. I ran the check and my bike is affected. I'll keep you posted how it goes.

Voluntary Recall Notice
FAG Bottom Bracket cartridge BB66 (April 2014 – May 2017)

Bottom_Bracket2.jpg

bottom_bracket_new.jpg

Through our warranty and quality assurance process we have become aware of an issue affecting a component manufactured between April 2014 – May 2017.

The axle of the 3rd party supplied FAG Bottom Bracket has had higher than expected reported incidence of failure. Although this still meets international safety standards this does not meet the standards which Brompton sets for its components.

We have therefore initiated a programme to recall all affected bikes and replace the bottom bracket cartridge with a new and tested part, free of charge to all of our affected customers.

It is possible to identify if your bike is affected by using the checker on our website or referring to the serial number. The serial number can be found on a curved plate applied to the frame, as shown in the image below:

Last edited:

Oxo

Guru
I've had a copy of the email today. We have two and they are both included in the recall.

simon.r

Person
Me too, but I’ve already replaced the BB with a UN55 because when I took the original out to grease it I damaged the plastic shell beyond repair: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/brompton-bottom-bracket-replacement.221615/

There have recently been comments on Twitter about axles shearing, so I assume that’s the reason for the recall.

I can forgive (or even admire) many of the Brompton’s quirks, but not plastic BB shells on £1,000 bike:sad:

simon.r

Person
Interestingly, on Twitter Brompton are saying that only bikes built by them are affected and not BB’s sold as spares.

I assume they had a faulty batch delivered by FAG.

mitchibob

Über Member
Hmm... my bottom bracket lasted was knackered after only a few months. Already paid out to get it replaced as was told it wasn't under warranty

U

User33236

I guess they are emailing people with registered bikes that are affected, so quite targeted.
My bike is registered, and according to its serial number is affected, but I've had no email.

Anyone read anywhere if they regard them as safe to ride in the meantime? I believe one person has already been injured as a result of the failure.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
My bike is registered, and according to its serial number is affected, but I've had no email.

Anyone read anywhere if they regard them as safe to ride in the meantime? I believe one person has already been injured as a result of the failure.

Brompton say they meet standards, just not the high standards associated with Brompton. So, I'd say yes, but it's a personal decision and I am not a lawyer. My bike is off the road awaiting a new rear wheel so I'm hoping to get the BB done at the same time.

U

User33236

Brompton say they meet standards, just not the high standards associated with Brompton. So, I'd say yes, but it's a personal decision and I am not a lawyer. My bike is off the road awaiting a new rear wheel so I'm hoping to get the BB done at the same time.
I'm possibly leaning towards the fact that my Brompton has done just short of 700 miles and with chances of failure being 1 in 5000 BB's it should be safe for another 14 mile round trip commute till I can speak with the local dealer tomorrow.

Top Bottom