Brompton bottom bracket replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
i've just got around to removing and greasing the BB on my few hundred miles old Brompton. It's a FAG with plastic cups - the fixed cup side of which I've sheared off the outer portion:

image.jpg

This doesn't affect the function, but I suspect it will be a hacksaw and hammer job to remove the remains of the cup when the time comes.

I believe it's a 68 x 119mm JIS taper.

Any recommendations for a replacement - something with aluminium cups would be nice!

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
Ah, just found this old thread:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/w...m-bracket-on-a-new-ish-brompton.207170/page-2

Looks like a good old Shimano UN55 is the answer. Unless anyone knows better?

chriscross1966

Über Member
I favour going through the rather long-winded process to get external cups on, I've got a Shimano Alfine on one of my Bromptons, Campag ultrartorque on two of the others and the new one is getting a Chris King 24 to take an FSA crank...

Cadzow

Regular
A UN55 should fit but it needs to be longer than an 118 length BB. A JIS crank on an ISO spindle will go too far onto the spindle so it is best to add on about 4 mm to the spindle length. I've ordered a 122.5 UN55 BB and that should fit okay.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
A UN55 should fit but it needs to be longer than an 118 length BB. A JIS crank on an ISO spindle will go too far onto the spindle so it is best to add on about 4 mm to the spindle length. I've ordered a 122.5 UN55 BB and that should fit okay.

The 118mm UN55 fits fine, no problem with the standard cranks.

Top Bottom