Brompton Voluntary Recall Notice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User33236

Dropped on my Brompton at Edinburgh Bike Coop at 10am today and received a text just before 12 letting me know it was ready to collect. Bloke at EBC told me they have had a lot of bikes in and Brompton were doing a good job of 'sorting them out for their time'.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The manager of my local Brompton dealer reckons Brompton has been very fair - a lot of other brands would have said nowt, and just dealt with failures piecemeal.

I'm told the new bottom bracket is made by German company Thun.

The shop's already done a handful, and they are quite happy to do them because Brompton is paying a reasonable sum for the shop's labour.

The FAG bottom bracket, as mentioned upthread, was part plastic, which was good because that meant it could never seize in the frame, but bad because it wouldn't do the work some Brommie owners expect from their bike.

Not surprisingly, FAG has also been sacked off by Brompton as an original equipment supplier, and new Brommies have the Thun bottom bracket.

https://thun.de/products/

U

User33236

The manager of my local Brompton dealer reckons Brompton has been very fair - a lot of other brands would have said nowt, and just dealt with failures piecemeal.

I'm told the new bottom bracket is made by German company Thun.

The shop's already done a handful, and they are quite happy to do them because Brompton is paying a reasonable sum for the shop's labour.

The FAG bottom bracket, as mentioned upthread, was part plastic, which was good because that meant it could never seize in the frame, but bad because it wouldn't do the work some Brommie owners expect from their bike.

Not surprisingly, FAG has also been sacked off by Brompton as an original equipment supplier, and new Brommies have the Thun bottom bracket.

https://thun.de/products/

Similar comments made today' by staff at EBC

simongt

Guru
Dropped on my Brompton at Edinburgh Bike Coop at 10am today and received a text just before 12 letting me know it was ready to collect.
Mine is booked in @ Evan's Cycles in Norwich and they've quoted 'next day' collection. :blink: ? Maybe they're just busier that Edinburgh - or less efficient - ! :rofl:

U

User33236

They are fitting an all-metal unit now aren't they? The old FAG had plastic sleeves I seem to remember.
The external parts I can see on my replacement BB are black plastic.

Can’t feel any difference though but the old BB was less than 800 miles old.

chris folder

there fitting plastic now I was told by a brompton dealer not metal

chriscross1966

Über Member
I stand corrected
#I replace Brompton BB's as a matter of course these days. Campagnolo Ultratorque for preference, though there is a Chris King kicking around in my collection...

doginabag

Took mine in to the Evans store in Holborn today (booked in a couple of weeks ago) only to be told that the parts hadn't arrived and Brompton are having trouble keeping up with demand.
they insisted that they called me yesterday to let me know but hadn't.

Oh well, slightly annoying but fortunately only 5 minutes from my office. Booked in for another go next month.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Nice for those who get some service from somebody. I have been in correspondence with Brompton since the start of the recall. It would take me about 3 days and a cost of about £200 to go to my nearest dealer so not really a serious option. At first they seemed sympathetic but no part has been sent as promised and they now seem to ignore me and presumably hope I will just go away and stop bothering them

Top Bottom