Brompton Voluntary Recall Notice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User33236

Received an email from Evans Cycles today re: the recall. Bike already booked in for a week tomorrow to be sorted out.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Phoned my local dealer today and although they know about the issue, they won't have the parts in for a week at least. The other dealer choice is another chain but they're the ones that took three weeks to order a rear rim, and when I took my bike in to get the wheel rebuilt, apologised and said they actually hadn't got the part after all.

So my choices of getting it fixed for nothing are a) a well-known dealer who can't cope with the demand to fix the problem and can't get the parts and b) another chain who couldn't order a correct part in three weeks.

With one thing and another my bike has been off the road since the middle of August and I'm sick of walking to work. So, I'm getting the guy at my local bike shop in Ely (who rebuilt my wheel using the rim I bought online and received the next day) to replace the BB with a decent one and I'll just pay for it myself. That's all booked in for Tuesday, so I'll be able to get back on the bike very soon.

I miss Ben Haywards. Rant over - best of luck to everyone in getting their Bromptons fixed.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Once the rear wheel is back on it will be OK I suppose. However I'm going to wait and get the bottom bracket replaced to be on the safe side. It's been so long a few more days won't matter. Since mid August I've had a new rear hinge, rear wheel and now the BB...

robbieharb

Hey everyone,

I'm a journalism student from City University, London writing a piece about the Brompton recall.

We're looking who could share their two cents on the recall, and how they think Brompton is handling the process so far.

A few people in this thread have mentioned injuries they've sustained because of the fault, and others have talked about the slowness of the servicing. We'd love to hear from you guys, or anyone who has something to offer. Doesn't have to be negative, positive feedback is more than welcome also.

Please feel free to contact me via DM if you'd like to participate.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Got the recall notice. Since it would take me about 3 days and a lot of dosh to go to a main dealer in Glasgow they are prepared to send me a replacement which can be fitted at my expense by LBS. A lot easier and cheaper than going to central Glasgow so am happy with that. It is theoretically possible to do this trip in one day when there is a late ferry but any snafu on the road ( sadly frequent nowadays) makes this a bit dodgy unless you have rotor blades on top of the car.

U

User33236

I phoned Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op, who were the recommended local dealer as listed on Brompton's website on Friday and they offered to book by bike in for Wednesday Oct 4th. As I will be at work that day we agreed on next Saturday.

All going good so far.

chriscross1966

Über Member
Hey everyone,

I'm a journalism student from City University, London writing a piece about the Brompton recall.

We're looking who could share their two cents on the recall, and how they think Brompton is handling the process so far.

A few people in this thread have mentioned injuries they've sustained because of the fault, and others have talked about the slowness of the servicing. We'd love to hear from you guys, or anyone who has something to offer. Doesn't have to be negative, positive feedback is more than welcome also.

Please feel free to contact me via DM if you'd like to participate.

One person in a different thread has had a Brompton crank that was over a year old fail, causing an injury. Everyone else here is talking crank failures in other instances.

Some folks have had recall notices. Given that there are three years of bikes to go through and Brompton dealers are frequently quite small shops, I rather think they are going as fast as they can.

Mod Edited - jumping to conclusions and no need to be rude

Last edited by a moderator:

chris folder

Hi :hello: has anyone had the new bottom bracket fitted yet?

simon.r

Person
I’ve spoken to Evans (the supplying dealer) and explained that I’ve swapped the original BB for a Shimano one.

They’ve readily agreed to exchange the original BB for a new one so I can keep it in my spares box.

I can’t fault either Brompton or Evans for the way they’re handling the issue.

Lonestar

Veteran
I got a Tern recall thing mistake email from Evans (yesterday).So I ignored as I haven't got a Tern.Just got Brompton email this morning

Picked up Brompton on 30 August 2014..Don't think I will bother,though.

If I can survive a pedal snapping from the crank (down Stratford High Street) on my fixie then I'm not too worried about this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom