Brompton battery light options.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Does any one know of a decent battery light that will fit in the place where the front reflector is situated? At the moment I'm using a stretchy light on the handlebars, but fancy something different.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
nope. nut let me know if you find one. I've got a cateye "be seen" thing on top of the reflector at present.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Quite a bit bigger than the stock reflector I think. It looks to have a good depth of plastic for the 'clip' that might allow a screw to hold it in place. I think I'd want to see one in the flesh and check it wouldn't interfere with the fold before parting with my hard earned.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Quite a bit bigger than the stock reflector I think. It looks to have a good depth of plastic for the 'clip' that might allow a screw to hold it in place. I think I'd want to see one in the flesh and check it wouldn't interfere with the fold before parting with my hard earned.

I've ordered one, if it doesn't fit I'm going to fit it on my big bike basket so I'll let you know.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I've fettled one of the Magicshine T6 ones onto an old dynamo light bracket (50p from a bike jumble) and with a bolt offset to the right to enable it to fit properly in the fold. It is rock solid in operation. The batteries just sit in a little camera bag zip tied to the bottom of the stem.

I tried a bit of a botch with a rear light L shape bracket added to the existing reflector bracket and a smart lunar 25, the light fitted fine bit it was a bit wobbly over Manchester's usual bumpy roads

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along

hmm. Just looking at that picture, It may need the whole mounting set up removed and screwing through from inside the casing using a very flat flush head screw into the existing bracket on the Brommy. As long as its not significantly taller then it should sit in the fold, but there's not a huge amount of leeway there.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
I've tried it with an elastic band to fix it, it does fit when the bike is folded but as yet can't find a way to securely attach it to the bracket.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
What about a head torch ?

I use one for certain things but not cycling. Dunno about Sara but I like to have a light permanantly attached to my bikes so I know I've got cover if I happen to be out late. (more than one light if I know it'll be poor light when I'm out) I also don't necessarily want to be incumbered with stuff in pockets or a bag when not riding just for the sake of being on my bike & I don't particularly want an elastic band and funny lump up there.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Well, The cable tie population of the world decreased rapidly yesterday as I tried in vain to make this bracket attach to the reflector mount on my Brompton! I tried all sorts and couldn't get it to fit.

I bought the cateye pannier mount and tried that but to no avail. I did discover that it will fit beautifully on the rear reflector bracket, so am planning to get one for the back.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Right - almost a year after I started this thread I've finally got this sorted! (In my defence Betty was in the bike shop for six months while the legal wrangling over crash repairs went on)

Anyhow, simple solution I've fixed the pannier bracket to the Brompton reflector bracket using SUGRU (this stuff is a miracle).
It's very firmly in place, and the light fits beautifully into the fold. It's almost like it was made for it!
624BD2D1-A06C-4C0A-80C7-945715BAB777_zpsqwngvkfn.jpg

4491BF53-4EFA-4562-9676-64E243FCE782_zpsde4rqaxb.jpg

793872DE-FBD9-401A-9E12-7294B2A1D6FB_zps3bpodq7l.jpg

Small length of old handlebar or suitable tubing

Drill a small (5 mm) hole through the pipe then fit the pipe to the present fitting using the same bolt

Standard lights will then fit

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
good bodge, I have done much the same with an old light bracket I had and ironically the same light, with mine. You may find it wobbles a bit on rough roads but generally not a problem.

Slightly off topic @Sara_H if you could indulge me: I've got a slight niggle with my reflex light as it has intermittently turned itself off when riding along in the not very light at all and I'm worried about it doing that down that when I've got the front luggage on and i don't notice. I'm a bit anal about reflectors and like the light for that but I'm currently on another cateye bar light that I trust more to be on and stay on. Have you had any bother with your reflex? Ta

Top Bottom