Brompton battery light options.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
good bodge, I have done much the same with an old light bracket I had and ironically the same light, with mine. You may find it wobbles a bit on rough roads but generally not a problem.

Slightly off topic @Sara_H if you could indulge me: I've got a slight niggle with my reflex light as it has intermittently turned itself off when riding along in the not very light at all and I'm worried about it doing that down that when I've got the front luggage on and i don't notice. I'm a bit anal about reflectors and like the light for that but I'm currently on another cateye bar light that I trust more to be on and stay on. Have you had any bother with your reflex? Ta

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
good bodge, I have done much the same with an old light bracket I had and ironically the same light, with mine. You may find it wobbles a bit on rough roads but generally not a problem.

Slightly off topic @Sara_H if you could indulge me: I've got a slight niggle with my reflex light as it has intermittently turned itself off when riding along in the not very light at all and I'm worried about it doing that down that when I've got the front luggage on and i don't notice. I'm a bit anal about reflectors and like the light for that but I'm currently on another cateye bar light that I trust more to be on and stay on. Have you had any bother with your reflex? Ta

TBH, I did find it a bit irritating that it switches itself on and off (usually going in and out of underpasses has been a problem) so on my "big bike" I actually replaced it with the none light sensitive version, so if I switch it on, it remains switched on.
This one I've put on the Brompton is the original light sensitive one. I'm assuming if anything, that it will be switched on if it's under the luggage as it'll think it's dark??
I have considered writing to cateye to ask if it's possible to turn off the light sensor function. But I may well just get another non sensor reflex.
I like the reflex as it doubles up as a reflector.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I did ask on here a few week back for alternative reflector lights but didn't get any battery light ideas. I've googled but can't drop on a non reflex version or suitable plan B.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
I did ask on here a few week back for alternative reflector lights but didn't get any battery light ideas. I've googled but can't drop on a non reflex version or suitable plan B.
I'll have a look. the non sensor versions are also called reflex.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Small length of old handlebar or suitable tubing

Drill a small (5 mm) hole through the pipe then fit the pipe to the present fitting using the same bolt

Standard lights will then fit
The drawback of this is the standard bromptom reflector bracket is a hybrid of abnormally weak aluminium and primula cheese, any slight extra weight and the inevitable road buzz sees it crack and then fall to pieces (mid ride when mine failed) very quickly. I would not recommend using it for a light at all.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Oh. That's that plan scuppered then!

Brains

Legendary Member

upload_2015-9-20_15-12-5.png

New Link
http://www.topeak.com/products/Lights/whitelite_aura

Kell

Veteran
I have to say that I think any light that low down is not great.

My solution was to take one (two actually) of the cheap Chinese Cree lights and run the cables and batteries into an old water bottle mounted high on the stem.

Running two mean I always have a backup. And they're bloody bright.

Top Bottom