Brompton chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Neilers

Hi folks. I have a 2013 brompton 6speed which I love and adore. It is a standard gear ratio which I have found a bit high for the hilly area I live in. So I have ordered a 44t chairing which is on its way from Evans. I know I have to remove two chain links and I have a tool to do it. Is it just a case of removing to links and joining the chain back together? Does it matter where I do it?

Any help would be appreciated.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Depends on the chain, you may already have a removable chain link. If not, you'll need a replacement chain link like a KMC missing link or replacement pins to refit into the chain, don't reuse the pin you've broken!

Or just buy a replacement chain (the link pins or missing link should be supplied with the new chain)

Sara_H

Guru
Hi folks. I have a 2013 brompton 6speed which I love and adore. It is a standard gear ratio which I have found a bit high for the hilly area I live in. So I have ordered a 44t chairing which is on its way from Evans. I know I have to remove two chain links and I have a tool to do it. Is it just a case of removing to links and joining the chain back together? Does it matter where I do it?

Any help would be appreciated.
I need to do this, can you supply a link to the chain ring you've ordered so I can copy you please?!!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I had the same mod done to my Brompton.

The man in the bike shop was able to remove the links without the need to put in a link.

My ring came from Brompton and they said the same when I ordered it.

OP
OP
N

Neilers

OP
OP
N

Neilers

I had the same mod done to my Brompton.

The man in the bike shop was able to remove the links without the need to put in a link.

My ring came from Brompton and they said the same when I ordered it.
Thanks that's what I am hoping! I am a bit clueless when it comes to chains.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It doesn't matter where you break the chain, just be very careful not to pop the pin right out, go a qtr turn at a time when you get close and check whether the chain will break or not.

It's also easier if you pop the pins out with new chain tool on "the wrong side" then you have the chain tool on the right side when you are rejoining it.

It's worth checking whether your chain does actually need shortening or whether derailleur / tensioner will take the slack.
I went from 54t to 50t and didn't need to shorten the chain.

Brommyboy

Über Member
When changing size the chain needs to be altered by 2 links for every 4T change. The tensioner can cope with the slack but this occasionally causes a bit of bother when folding the bike!

OP
OP
N

Neilers

Thanks for the help everybody. It all went pretty smoothly. The new chainring is on and has made a great difference. The chain was a breeze once I figured out how long a link actually was!

Top Bottom