Brompton x Palace

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Skateboards and folding bikes, sure, makes sense.
So the energy won't be coming from your legs then?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I can sort of get the prior 'special collaborations' or whatever you want to call them but I don't know how a pimply youth with a bandana tied around his head clutching a length of wood with wheels would chime with a typical Brompton buyer.
I think Mr Will Double Barrelled must be losing it, or getting more desperate.
I guess when you're essentially a one product company there's only so much you can do with it to entice new buyers.

Last edited:

Fastpedaller

I can understand the 'special edition' but agree with Kell and Cycleops that it's not really a 'fit' with scateboards. Presumably there is a price Brompton pay for the collaboration (maybe a percentage on sales) for applying a partner's brand to the product? Maybe I'm not their target market (I'm not :smile: ), but surely fancy paint schemes without anyone else's brand attached would sell well if folk liked them? or a unique paint scheme of the owner's choice could add considerably to the sale price!

EckyH

Perhaps actually most Brompton customers are people in their 40s, 50s and 60s. Therefore it could be that Brompton just tries to expand the brand awareness in younger age groups with that move.

E.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Meh...

Seems the specialness is once more confined to a paint job, which tbh would look more at home on an own-brand BSO from the late '90s..

I just meant that in the past, the collabs seem to be a little more … middle/upper classs.

Barbour. Bear Grylls, CHPT3, Liberty, Kenzo, Oliver Spencer.
a) New markets
b) Emerging markets as '90s skate kids have grown up and become more affluent.

I can understand the 'special edition' but agree with Kell and Cycleops that it's not really a 'fit' with scateboards. Presumably there is a price Brompton pay for the collaboration (maybe a percentage on sales) for applying a partner's brand to the product? Maybe I'm not their target market (I'm not
:smile:
), but surely fancy paint schemes without anyone else's brand attached would sell well if folk liked them? or a unique paint scheme of the owner's choice could add considerably to the sale price!
Dunno, do they pay a price? Arguably both parties win as both get exposure in markets they otherwise might not have.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
When I saw 'Palace' in the headline I thought it was THE Palace. Now that would be a suitable pull. A Duchy themed Brompton would attract many, if only Charles would agree :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Quantic School of Business did a study recently of Brompton and found the average age of a Brompton owner had fallen from 50+ to under 40.

EckyH

Are they?
I supposed it.
But I'm not sure, therefore I prepended my suspicion with "Perhaps".
My suspicion was based on my - I have to admit: anecdotic - observations on the streets here in Germany, colleagues who bought Bromptons, people I know personally in another cycling forum, people who posts Brompton related videos on Youtube and the people I see in videos of the Brompton World Championships where I estimate their age.

The Quantic School of Business did a study recently of Brompton and found the average age of a Brompton owner had fallen from 50+ to under 40.
Obviously the range of "my" sample of Brompton customers was unrepresentative for the current situation.

E.

Top Bottom