Brompton handlebar heights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
While sitting on a 2 speed S type brompton in a local bikeshop - I was suprised how low the bar was, considering the seat was not at full extension. I know the S type has the lowest bar height but was led to believe not the shortest stem. This bike had a shorter stem than a M type. Visually this was obvious and I was told this to be the case by the assistant. Perhaps earlier a little mix and match had been peformed that neither of us was aware of.
My last brompton was a mark 3 over 10 years ago and the reach was shorter. The weight of this 2 speed S type was comparable to my 3 speed Dahon Presto Lite with big apples and a rack. Probably going to take a trip down to Cycle Heaven in York soon, in order to test ride a few different brompton configurations, "I am just going outside and may be some time"

Last edited:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
You can make a slight adjustment to bring the handlebars closer to you if that's an issue. Mine's an M-type and I've tilted the bars slightly towards me to shorten the reach. The adjustment is limited by the length of the cables but it was enough for me. Dawn at Steels in Gosforth let in to that tip. Can't you test a few at Steels? Or don't they have enough options in stock?

OP
OP
W

windmiller

It's the the height difference between the saddle and the handlebar of the S type which I need to find out rather than the reach. My old metalwork teacher was Dave Yates who used to be connected with Steel Cycles, I remember he awarded me 8/10 for an adjustable wrench that I made, still have it.....he must have been feeling kind that day. Looking at their website some of the Bromptoms appear to be a few quid cheaper, so I will take a look tomorrow. Cycle Heaven state that they have 40 in stock, so if I buy from them I shouldn't have to wait.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Sounds like your wrench was well made if you still have it a few years later!

Dawn is fantastic if she's in the shop - she spent ages helping me decide what to get. You can also hire for a day to try one out and they knock the hire cost of the bike price when you buy.

Cycle Heaven do seem to have lots in stock though - so many colours to choose from!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You can make a slight adjustment to bring the handlebars closer to you if that's an issue. Mine's an M-type and I've tilted the bars slightly towards me to shorten the reach. The adjustment is limited by the length of the cables but it was enough for me. Dawn at Steels in Gosforth let in to that tip. Can't you test a few at Steels? Or don't they have enough options in stock?
S bars are flats. No adjustment via bit of tilt and swivel a la the M ;)

12boy

Guru
Is your concern that at your saddle height the bars are too low? Calhoun cycles in Minneapolis has a riser bar the suggest for S types, which does not interfere with the fold and the grips do slant back a bit so as change the hand position a bit. theirs are expensive but inexpensive riser bars are easy to find. another solution is to use an Aber Hallo which can be used to raise the bars or move them forward or backward about 2 inches. Coupled with a QR in lieu of the standard stem bolt you can move the bars quickly for a good fold. A P or M stem is shorter than an S although they don't bend forward as much. Those stems couple with low risers might work for you if you want the bars closer in but still low.

OP
OP
W

windmiller

Popped into Steel's bike shop. Dawn was not there, All things Brompton was not the bloke behind the counter's forte, though he was helpful enough. They had about 4 on display, the same models I think just different colours. The reason they were slightly cheaper was because they didn't come with mudguards which is just bloody silly. If Bromptons could take a 50mm tyre such as a big apple it would improve the ride even more.

It's the height difference rather than the reach that concerns me, won't be the end of the world if I have to settle for a M type handlebar though, thanks to all for your advice.

Kell

Veteran
This proved useful to me when looking at which bike to buy.

I ended up choosing an H type and taking the high bars off and putting on a low riser.

Essentially this would give me a bar height equal to taking the flat bars off an S and adding the same riser, but meant that I wouldn't run into problems with brake cables being too short or the bars catching on the ground when folded.

ETA - I'm having difficulty linking to the image...

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
image.jpeg

OP
OP
W

windmiller

That nicely illustrates the different handlebar heights. Finally decided to buy a M6L in black from Cycle heaven in York. The choice of colour was largely down to what they had in stock and my lack of patience. I must admit I prefer the look of the S type and tried a two speed version out around the station car park. Nice and light and nippy but would be too much of a stretch for me over 10 miles - since I intend to do some longer rides and use the T bag.

Seems to fold easier than my old bike 13 years ago, and the handlebars don't feel like they will snap when I honk up a hill. Brakes are improved too as is the saddle.
The gear changers are very 3rd world, look terrible feel fragile but do the job - might upgrade the hub changer. When I weighed the brompton it came out at 26 lbs, accuracy of the scales may be in doubt but my Dahon Presto lite showed 2 lbs lighter with a rack. Brompton is easier to fold than the dahon and a smaller more secure package. Carrying is about the same, the smaller bulk and lighter weight cancelling each other out.

6 speeds as opposed to 3, the grip shift of the dahon is better and neater. The brompton is faster but not greatly so and loses out on less than perfect ground where the small big apples of the dahon are more forgiving of road imperfections. The brompton wins for me because of the fold, the gear range, luggage capacity and product support.

mheuter

Hi, I have an S-type Brompton and use the telescopic seat post (inside e.g. 34"). Generally speaking this is ok BUT I have wondered a few times whether to convert to an M model (8.9cm height difference) or find an aftermarket handlebar (using probably an MTB bar and cut to size, as long as grips/controls fit). Questions are - if I convert to M type do I need a different stem (I think I know the answer)? Any idea what a stem costs (for some reason I can't find a website that answers the question, challenge also is that my bike is raw lacquer ... Next question, if I was to keep the existing stem and look for a 30-40 mm rise MTB handlebar, has anyone done this and where would they have sourced the right one to accommodate controls? Thanks for your help, Martin

simon.r

Person
I posted this a while ago.

Let the tinkering begin!

I'm playing around with the riding position and have installed a cheap handlebar: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152136992669

These put the height of the handlebar somewhere between the M and H and also allow the brake levers to be rotated forward slightly, giving a more natural position for me.

View attachment 340459

View attachment 340460

View attachment 340461

I need to get a few miles in before I decide if this will be a permanent change, but initial impressions are that it gives a compromise position that suits me.

I went the other way as it were, but can’t see why that bar or similar wouldn’t work, but you may have to alter the cable lengths.

I’m fairly certain the stem on the S and M type is the same.

mheuter

Thanks Simon. I like the picture with the black bars, although - looking at various places on the inter web - I think the stem and bit below (term?) is different in that the stem of the S type has a bit more reach as being curved. The bit below (term??) won't matter as using the bars you show can be moved forward/backward to suit. The issue then is whether the cables need to be replaced (probably) and if that's the case would cost (a set is £78 or so) unless they can be replaced with non-OME items. Did you change cables? Martin

Top Bottom