Brompton - how quick are they?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The rack is surprisingly light, I thought. We've fitted one to Mr SavageHoutkop's bike (mine came with it ready fitted) and I was quite surprised how light it was. I thought it'd be heavier.

Also, the pentaclip now comes standard, so you don't need to buy it additionally if you're getting a new bike.

And sadly, we've had a puncture each in the first two months of ownership (with the Brompton branded Kevlar). When looking at the amount of glass embedded in the tyre, this is probably a pretty good run actually! Now considering the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres.... I have ridden over *lots* of glass though, it seems the nightly hobby here is smashing beer/vodka bottles/glasses into cyclepaths!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Red said:
I know with folding bikes the wheels are smaller and so won't travel as fast as your normal sized bike

Don't assume that small wheels are slow. With high pressure tyres (and suspension) they are as quick or quicker than 700 wheels, as various world speed records set on Moultons show.

And of course, how fast it goes depends mainly on the engine. That's you.

OP
OP
R

Red

Thanks again everyone this is very encouragng, Just a nervous newbie who hasn't ridden in years

Crankarm

Guru
trsleigh said:
Just curious, where was this? Presumably it was somewhere where you had no choice about having to go in. My only folded Brompton refusal has been a pub in Brentford, simply resolved by going to next pub in street.
I also carry a black bin liner in the frame tube so I could, if necessary, wrap it up, but so far have never needed to try that approach. ( Apart from the pub where it was much simpler to say stuff this.)

Senate House, London University, Malet Street.
My post-grad ceremony in 2004.
Bike racks had a security cameras aimed at them.
No film in cameras :smile:.
Got a new one on house insurance but that's not the
point. My premiums went up and I lost NCD :smile:.

Tynan

Veteran
I've certainly seen the odd one going well, one rider said he'd modded the gears from standard, must be a tad dicey with pot holes/bad road though I'd have thought

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Tynan said:
must be a tad dicey with pot holes/bad road though I'd have thought

Not too bad. Unsurfaced roads are challenging, but they are on a road bike too. Cobbles are do-able, I'd say more challenging than a full sized bike in the wet. The little bit of suspension on the rear wheels soaks up a fair bit of pothole shock. The bars are fairly flexible, they probably take out a bit of the vibration too.

The off-road performance of a Brompton isn't great, but I took mine down the local Sustrans path a couple of times. It didn't like deep gravel much and hard packed mud with rocks in it wasn't much fun either.

To my regret I never tried it in the snow.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
palinurus said:
To my regret I never tried it in the snow.

I have - no more problem than it would have been on a conventional bike - and unlike a conventional bike it's possible to set the saddle a bit lower so tht you can put a foot down slightly more easily. Marathon tyres probably help!

I've also ridden it on hard-packed ice. Not fun, but marginally less alarming than walking...

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
srw said:
unlike a conventional bike it's possible to set the saddle a bit lower so tht you can put a foot down slightly more easily.

That's what I was thinking, saddle down and feet as outriggers on the descents. Bikes are more controllable when under power in snow and ice, coasting is trickier.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
asterix said:
Slight pinch of salt needed there. I have 2 Brommies, no way on this earth are they as fast as my Roberts compact audax. Nevertheless, they are surprisingly quick and good fun in the city.

yes i agree, what i should have said is 'as fast as any standard steel touring bike of similar price'. is that a more sensible claim?;)

jimboalee

shauncollier said:
yes i agree, what i should have said is 'as fast as any standard steel touring bike of similar price'. is that a more sensible claim?:becool:

You should have said "as fast as any standard steel touring bike of similar aerodynamics"

Top Bottom