Brompton - how quick are they?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtwin

Right, last night I did a 20 mile TT outward leg on my Brompton at an average speed of 26.31 mph.

Would have been faster on the way back too with the wind, had that bloody alarm clock not gone off.

scouserinlondon

I've been left for dead by a couple of bromptons. Really not cricket.

calvjones

Bigtwin said:
Right, last night I did a 20 mile TT outward leg on my Brompton at an average speed of 26.31 mph.

:wacko:

My 12 mile slightly bumpy commute home along Sustrans gravel & mud-bath = 12.5mph compared to a usual 15mph on the Airborne. So not bad

You go slower on a Brompton due to psychological factors more than physical ones - i.e. a lot more likely to stop and smell the flowers...

jimboalee

I too have a small-wheeled bike.

To find out which was easier to ride, I went out for a ride on the BSA 20 with my light SWorks strapped to my back.
After 20 miles, I swapped bikes and to my amazement, it was more difficult to ride the SWorks with the BSA 20 strapped to my back. :wacko:

Crankarm

Guru
Bigtwin said:

Would have been faster on the way back too with the wind, had that bloody alarm clock not gone off.

You sure BT? That's rather quick to average 26.31 mph on any bike let alone a Brompton. Was the wind up your rear and the route down hill like 15% :evil:?

Will1985

Über Member
Last year's BWC winner Alistair Kay averaged 35.48km/h with Heras only 3 seconds slower. I believe that was a lumpy course, so it would be interesting to see what they could do on a flat course.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Bigtwin said:

Would have been faster on the way back too with the wind, had that bloody alarm clock not gone off.[/QUOTE]

I'm usually just sprinting past Pantani on Ventoux when that happens

Crankarm

Guru
palinurus said:
Scroll down Crankarm, scroll down..

Huhh?........:biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Red said:
Exploring my options
Looking and liking the idea of getting a brompton do late shifts and don't fancy leaving it outside in the small wee hours of the morning

I know with folding bikes the wheels are smaller and so won't travel as fast as your normal sized bike But how quick can you travel on one compared to a standard bike

Cheers

Depends on how fast your legs are :ohmy:

To be more serious, watching the folding race at the [URL="http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=35370]Edinburgh Nocturne[/URL] I was surprised to see that they weren't much slower that the road bikes...

matason

Cattlegrids

If you out in rural areas watch out for cattlegrids :blush:

I've been training a fair bit on the Brompton recently, I did 40 miles from Garstang to central Manchester over Belmont in 2 hrs 40 mins - I don't know how that stacks up against a conventional road bike...

Other things I've been considering are how fast should I let it go down hills? Obviously where it's safe etc and also whether the Brompton can take hard "out of the saddle" up hill climbs? So far I've experienced no problems but then I'm still fairly new to the bike.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
15 mph average over belmont is fast on any bike. more impressive on a brommie. i can only get to 12mph average over a 25 mile ride round rossendale valley, but i am fat and reasonably unfit.

Top Bottom