Brompton Modifications

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mitchibob

Über Member
To fasten the phone to the bike use a Quadlock.

I have to say, I'm never keen on sticking my main means on communication in case of emergency on the bike in that way. Far prefer a dedicated GPS head-unit, that have far better weather-proofing and general survivability (plus, far more usable on the bike), and have phone in slightly more secure pocket, or somewhere else, better protected.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I seem to remember that you are a dab hand with bespoke Brompton luggage Steve? I know I’ve admired some of your previous creations.
If you buy an S bag frame you can attach Carradice saddlebags to the front.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have to say, I'm never keen on sticking my main means on communication in case of emergency on the bike in that way. Far prefer a dedicated GPS head-unit, that have far better weather-proofing and general survivability (plus, far more usable on the bike), and have phone in slightly more secure pocket, or somewhere else, better protected.
I am the same as you. I keep my phone in my bag and use my Wahoo on the handlebar. I mentioned Quadlock as it is the most asked question on the Brompton FB site. I have had phones both fry and drown in the past. I now usually wear aeropex headphones and so do not need to have my phone out to get messages.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If you buy an S bag frame you can attach Carradice saddlebags to the front.
You mean one of these? https://brilliantbikes.co.uk/brompton-luggage-spares/293-brompton-s-bag-frame.html
Does it also need a front carrier block?
Do you just strap the saddlebag to the frame.

I ask this stuff because I'm thinking of getting a front bag for my Brompton, but they all seem a bit on the expensive side for something I use rarely these days. I have a Carradice Barley knocking around that I've not used in years.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
You mean one of these? https://brilliantbikes.co.uk/brompton-luggage-spares/293-brompton-s-bag-frame.html
Does it also need a front carrier block?
Do you just strap the saddlebag to the frame.

I ask this stuff because I'm thinking of getting a front bag for my Brompton, but they all seem a bit on the expensive side for something I use rarely these days. I have a Carradice Barley knocking around that I've not used in years.
Yes you need a front Carrier Block.
Then you strap or in my case Tie-wrap the bag to the frame. I used a Carradice Camper Longflap on mine for my Outer Hebs Camping tour. Works a treat. Barley should be no issue.
The frame is quite handy....

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I've got the Joseph Kuosac extra firm suspension block now and, although it is a bit pricey at £20 for a lump of polyurethane, it is totally worth it. Almost rides like a normal bike. Probably wears the rear hinge quicker, but I can do rear hinges.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You can add a grease point to the rear hinge but it needs to be done with the spindle and bushes out, so you can remove swarf and check your plug/grease nipple won't foul the spindle. I drilled a 5mm hole and tapped to M6 x 1 then cleaned up the inside of the hole with a small round file.

The hinge tube is quite thin-walled so you only get a few threads, not enough to stand up to a grease gun being wrenched off a grease nipple. So I made a plug from an M6 bolt cut down to length. An M6 grease nipple can be temporarily fitted (with an O-ring if it leaks up the threads) to purge the hinge and unscrewed with the gun still attached.

Because the spindle is such a close fit in the bushes, you will need a proper pistol grip grease gun to get any grease through. Moulton owners will know the kind of hand pressure needed.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I do have my doubts about the usefullness of a grease nipple for greasing. From factory the hinge spindle is not greased as far as I can judge. The manual for exchanging the spindle recommends greasing to a very limited amount when mounting a new spindle - this seems mainly to prevent the spindle from corroding, not to keep it moving: https://www.perennialcycle.com/sc/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/brompton_hinge.pdf

In opposite what one does see in practice is often that the right hand side of the rear hinge is worn first, suspectedly influenced by oil coming from an overoiled chain and entering the spindle. When one side has play the other will follow soon after - no surprise.

The one purpuse where the grease nipple is helpful is that it makes it potentially easier to remove a worn spindle by drilling into the spindle and this way to gain a lever to be able to break the bolts on the side loose which massively eases up the process. So I do consider a grease nipple at the rear hinge to be more of a mechanical facilitation than for greasing (which in my eyes is typically unnecessary and may even turn out to be harmful).

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Brompton instructions are to grease the bushes before fitting the spindle. The acetal facings of the bushes have dimples to retain grease.https://www.perennialcycle.com/sc/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/brompton_hinge.pdf

Removing the bolts is easier if you have the correct imperial allen bit for a 3/8" socket driver. 4mm is just no good. The whole rear hinge assembly is resolutely non-metric. The bushes are standard off-the-shelf parts, which you can buy if Brompton ever make them dealer-only.

12boy

Guru
I have an oil port for my rear hinge and every once in a while I inject a lttle oil whicn turn seeps out much like my SA hubs. Seems fine and I have ridden thousands of miles. Too bad there is no cartridge bearing set up for the hinge.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I think they stick with a plain journal bearing because it's very cheap (the bushes are about £1.50 each) and relatively easy to manufacture, with the reaming taking care of any small inaccuracies. Taper roller bearings would be really good but would require very high precision in the frame and rear triangle.

Moulton use the same system but with a bigger hinge and bronze Oilite bushes. These are easy to overhaul at home without special tools. They don't last much longer than a Brompton hinge (especially on a TSR, with its offset hinge) but at least you don't have to get your bike to a dealer and wait however long it takes in the queue for the workshop.

dimrub

Ok, don't judge me. Or do, I don't care :smile:. I know it's a classic design, well tested and changed carefully, yadda-yadda, I've owned one since 2003. But I got tired of all the extra-weight on my M6L, and, frankly, a rather dull looks, so I went to my friend Ali, last name Express. So far I replaced the handlebar, the grips, the lights, front and back, the pedals, the front bag block, the tires, the suspension block and the seatpost clamp. I also got brake handles, but apparently I need to recable in order to replace those, and I don't have the cables at hand. I also ordered new wheels, but I think this may have been a bit overly ambitious because I'll need to rebuild the rear one. Next up are frame clamps, easy wheels front and back, saddle bag - to match my Brooks, new seatpost, and a new front hook. I must say it looks great now, and rides better than before, though I'm not sure I can really feel the change in weight. I would have loved to replace the drivetrain, because that 3x2 is annoying, with 1x5 like that guy on YouTube, but that's a bit out of my league. I'm still not sure about replacing the brakes - probably not worth the effort.

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
That tip about turning the saddle slightly to the right is thus far the most useful thing I have read online anywhere about the Brompton.

Last edited:
Top Bottom