Brompton on cycle to work scheme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

Hi all, been a long time since I posted last. Hope all the regulars are good.

I've been off cycling for a while, but hoping to get back into it with a new(ish) job that is cycle commutable.

So...I've taken the plunge and bought a Brompton on the cycle to work scheme. Since I work in a city centre I've chosen a folding bike since, with no bike storage, it's the only way I can cycle in with a bike that won't be nicked. I chose a Brompton after test riding one through a weekend loan from Edinburgh Bicycle and being fairly happy with the ride but very happy with the fold. I've configured the bike for Edinburgh's relatively hilly streets (6 gears and -12% gearing) and have chosen white and black colouring to save paying extra for a paint job. I just about got it under a grand but it was fairly tricky to do.

Now...waiting. It takes up to 6 weeks I'm told for Brompton to make and deliver the order so I'm getting impatient for it to be here! Looking forward to riding to work again, though.

Anyone else commuting in on a Brompton, especially in hilly country / the North?

Mel

Trickedem

Guru
I've recently got a Brompton on cycle to work. I live in a very hilly area and have found mine to be a bit too highly geared, but I'm loving riding it. I regularly ride 10 mile to Ebbsfleet station which is a couple of stops along my normal rail journey and then jump on the train.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
@Melvil
I have the 6 speed with the reduced gearing option. I'm no whippet but have hauled it over some of Bristols steeper bits and it was fine. I've also toured on it without too much issue, so I reckon you'll be fine.

Oh, and welcome back!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Ha! Yes I did, then fixed, but back to a B. I live in hilly hilly Rossendale and used to commute to Manchester, Salford, Rochdale and Bury daily and the monthly passive aggressive group cycle around Manchester.

I've not done a lot of riding the last 14 months or so due to working far far too many night shifts.

Once I've finished our new clinic I'll be back to riding only and daily around the daft hills around me.

I love my B and was never injured or strained or knocked off in all years I rode those miles.

When I was knocked off or became injured or crashed it was always on full size bikes.

I'm seriously considering buying a Rohloff kit and will probably order it once the clinic is up n running. It's so I can get longer miles in the bigger hills over Yorkshire way.

On the 1st B I had I had a Schlumpf Speed Drive installed and it was faultless for, IIRC 15,000 miles before I sold it to a friend.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I've got the six speed with lowered gearing too. I don't have massive hills on my commute but I do have an uphill stretch that is often into a headwind so I decided I wanted that option. I don't often use the very bottom gear.

I absolutely love my Brompton. I've had her for 2 and a half years now and we've done over 4500 miles. She's useful for more than just commuting and I've taken her on holiday a couple of times.

I know the six week wait is frustrating but I was happy to wait to get the exact spec I wanted.

OP
OP
M

Melvil

@Melvil
I have the 6 speed with the reduced gearing option. I'm no whippet but have hauled it over some of Bristols steeper bits and it was fine. I've also toured on it without too much issue, so I reckon you'll be fine.

Oh, and welcome back!

Cheers FF - and nice to see you're still around these (virtual) parts. Touring is something I hadn't considered so may well give it some thought down the line.

We're in the 6-week-wait here too. Mr SHK's B has rusted through (!) so we are getting a replacement for him. He's gone for the H bars this time - wasn't an option when we bought ours - so should find it more comfy.

fimm

Veteran
Just curious- what gears do you have on yours?
Umm, I've had it for a while so I don't really know - I have a 3-geared hub gear.
(I can honk it up Dundas Street and Market Street but I do run and do triathlon (on another bike!!!) as well so I'm reasonably fit with a decent power-to-weight ratio.)

jay clock

Massive member
I did 2x10km for 9 mths last year. I went for 3 speed with easier gearing and love it. I am running out of gears at 30kmh but round town that is fine.

I never carry it folded more than a few yards. I always unfold then refold.

Top Bottom