Brompton on cycle to work scheme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Melvil

Umm, I've had it for a while so I don't really know - I have a 3-geared hub gear.
(I can honk it up Dundas Street and Market Street but I do run and do triathlon (on another bike!!!) as well so I'm reasonably fit with a decent power-to-weight ratio.)

So pretty much the opposite of my physical status! Glad to hear you can get up Dundas Street though, that's pretty good - have you tried Queen's drive around Arthur's Seat with it? There used to be an Arthur's Seat challenge and although I tried it with a road bike (3:17 since you ask) and a unicycle (5:54) I do wonder if anyone tried it with a Brompton...

The Jogger

Legendary Member
No hills were I live now but when I bought the Brompton after reading all about Fab Foodie's glowing reports on his. I was in hilly Hampshire when I got the H6L which I found good for the back. I now ride my bromine all the time and absutelyove it. Along the Chichester canal to the train station then around London on my daily commute. It's the best.

fimm

Veteran
So pretty much the opposite of my physical status! Glad to hear you can get up Dundas Street though, that's pretty good - have you tried Queen's drive around Arthur's Seat with it? There used to be an Arthur's Seat challenge and although I tried it with a road bike (3:17 since you ask) and a unicycle (5:54) I do wonder if anyone tried it with a Brompton...
Just wanted to make it clear that I'm not in the "if I can do it anyone can" brigade! :smile:
Never taken it round Arthur's Seat (I have big bikes for that sort of thing). Kudos for doing that on a unicycle!

What is it about Bromptons that they cost £1000+? Quite shocking as I assumed them to be bikes made specifically for commuting, or something that gets folded up and stowed somewhere on train journeys. Dont mean to sound snobby I just didnt realise they cost so much. If they are well made and decent spec fair enough, but commuters tend to want something that to get to and from places as cheap as possible.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well designed, well made from quality parts and materials. And I think assembled in the UK which of course costs more in labour than China or similar where presumably the competition is built? You'll be paying a small premium too for the brand like most things

si_c

Guru
If they are well made and decent spec fair enough, but commuters tend to want something that to get to and from places as cheap as possible.

I'd disagree about the "as cheap as possible" argument. As a commuter I want something that will be reliable in getting me from A to B and Bromptons do seem do to that well.

Top Bottom