Brompton on the Eurostar?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doginabag

I am going to Paris next week for a business trip and ordinarily I get around ok via their tube network. But I am considering taking my brompton and avoiding having to use any public transport and might give me a bit more scope to do some sight seeing in my free evening.

Does anyone have any first hand experience of taking a brompton on the Eurostar? What do I need to know?

And as for riding around Paris. Good idea or am I likely to be flattened into a crepe?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Bag it. Or you'll never get it past security ime. Things may have relaxed since, mind.

Paris is a brilliant city to ride. Watch the locals, copy them, Parisian drivers and pedestrians and cyclists place a premium on everyone behaving predictably.

OP
OP
doginabag

doginabag

thanks, very helpful.
So as long as it goes in a bag I can take it on as part of my luggage allowance. What I am unsure of is does that bag have to be fully close-able, ie with a zipped opening? If so that will make it much harder to find something suitable in time.

I've had saddles on folding bikes sticking out of bags on Eurostar without any problem.

Just bear in mind when you're checking in at St. Pancras, make sure you're in the left hand queue as that X-ray machine is bigger, as the bike won't fit through the smaller one.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
thanks, very helpful.
So as long as it goes in a bag I can take it on as part of my luggage allowance. What I am unsure of is does that bag have to be fully close-able, ie with a zipped opening? If so that will make it much harder to find something suitable in time.
Completely enclosed is the rule. But as the Dodo says you may get away with it. Will depend on the level of jobsworthery on the day.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've taken a Brompton to Paris before but now I'd probably use a Velib', then there's no need to find parking for your Brompton at the museum/ cinema/ creperie etc. Haven't used one for a few years now but last time I did it was possible to hire without registration with a credit card.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Often worth the upgrade, just for the food and extra legroom
We've rarely found the upgrade to Business Premier (fully flexible, including lounge access) worthwhile. But middle class (which is now called Standard Premier) gives you big seats and some food and is often attractively priced.

Top Bottom