Brompton Paint Issue?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
Hi all, we collected a new 2021 Brompton M6R Black Edition a couple of weeks ago. Was in the garage earlier and noticed something on the floor - it’s some of the paint! It’s come off the rear of the seatpost clamp - in fact it looks like some more is about to come off! Bike has been ridden 3 times, about 15miles max. Surely this isn’t normal? Before I ring the dealer, I thought I’d ask the Brommie owners on here for your thoughts.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That wouldn't bother me but if it bothers you then contact the dealer to see what they say.

Tenkaykev

Guru
No that’s not normal and I’d definitely contact the dealer if only to put on record that there’s an issue with the paint finish on your bike. I appreciate that Brompton are working flat out to meet demand so perhaps some parts of the manufacturing process have been speeded up a little to help throughput.
Heres my Orange Brommie which is a 2015 model ( excuse Henry the Hoover who also lives under the stairs )

ExBromptonMan

Very best of luck. I have never had a problem with the three I have owned.
If it was a part which could scrape on the ground if folded, they might say it was misuse BUT I cannot see how that part could scrape on the ground.
If you have had it less than 28 or 30 days, I think you could reject it if you really wanted (Then wait two or three months for a replacement!).
I did reject one of my early electric Brompton and got a refund no problems.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Their paint has often been appalling. Mine needed a full respray after a year, and it hadn't even been out in the rain. The original powdercoat just flaked off.

Reject it now, as they will not entertain paint claims for long.

OP
OP
Justinitus

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
Dealer (used them several times for different bikes, always very good) emailed back to say they’ve sent a warranty claim in for a new frame and are waiting Brompton‘s response. I’ll give them a ring and have a chat - to be honest, some touch up paint and a guarantee that if more paint comes off in in the same way in the future then they swap the frame then, or exchange the complete bike for a new one now. I’ll update once we’ve agreed a way forward. Cheers all

berlinonaut

Veteran
Their paint has often been appalling.
How exactly do you define "often" and on which foundation? Apart from issues with early raw-laquer models I've not been aware of any relevant amount of issues with the powder coat on Bromtons. After the change from glossy to mate in 2009 the coating has become less robust and after switching the coating from the company in Wales that had done it from the start to inhouse with the new factory they had a couple of minor issues in the beninnig sometimes. That's all I am aware of.
Mine needed a full respray after a year, and it hadn't even been out in the rain. The original powdercoat just flaked off.
So good that there's a five year warranty on the frame... Apart from that I am really wondering as according to your posts in various threads you've had the worst and nightmarish issues with your Brommi that strangely enough no one else seems to suffer from, let alone to that extend, if you maybe are the Brompton equivalent of the lorry driver in the Douglas Adams novel that suffers from having to drive in the rain where ever he goes, not knowing that he is a rain god... :tongue:

tourdescotland

I just received my Brompton.. damage under where the front wheel hooks on and also a smaller issue on the steering post.. I emailed back.. is this normal damage around the hook on part?

Attachments

• 00E8E9AC-7151-410B-8240-96F75714D027.jpeg
    00E8E9AC-7151-410B-8240-96F75714D027.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 59
  • 65CFDEE8-1911-4A93-BEEF-DDCBAD2AB70C.jpeg
    65CFDEE8-1911-4A93-BEEF-DDCBAD2AB70C.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 58

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Paint on older ones (up to mid-2000s) can be really good. It gets scuffed but doesn't flake. Flaking on powdercoat is always a manufacturing defect - poor adhesion, either due to rusty metal, contamination by grease, or lack of primer. Reject the bike as it will look like a dog's dinner in a year's time. My 2008 bike needed a respray after a year and it never went out in the wet.

Top Bottom