Brompton Paint Issue?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tinywheels

Über Member
personally I like a battered Brompton

Ghanabike

Regular
All I can suggest is to take a few more photos from different angles and close ups, and get in touch with Brompton direct. ( They have an online chat facility which I’ve found very responsive)
Forward the photos and take it from there.
Brompton have been increasing production a lot, and brought a lot of previously outsourced operations in house, perhaps they’re having problems with processes. Nevertheless they should welcome the feedback.
Do let us know how you get on.

Brilliant! thank you very much for reply and feedback. Much appreciated

berlinonaut

Veteran
Hello all and thanks for allowing me to join the forum. Unfortunately I have a similar issue with my beloved Brompton C line Explore Piccadilly blue Brompton. I purchased my Brompton in September 2022 and noticed a flaking of paint on the front stem. Since then the problem has become worse. I took the bike back to the dealer. The dealer blamed me for scratching the paint work. I stated that the bike was not of satisfactory quality due to the defective paint work. The dealer has refused to offer a replacement. Any advise please? Picture attached below

It is a bit of an unusual area for paint to flake off w/o reason. Not saying it could not be possible but the typical reason for paint issues like that in this area is when the folded bike lies flat on the stem (i.e. in a car boot) and is moving around while the car is driving. So at least understandable that the dealer has questions.
On the other hand: Hopefully normally no one would lie the bike on the stem side, but typically paint flakes off at edges or sharp corners, not in the middle of a homogenic area. When thinking about how powder coat is applied it seems indeed a little strange that it flakes off in this area. However: W/o better pictures nobody can decide wether these are the outcome of scratches or a failure in painting.

Ghanabike

Regular
Thank you for your response. I am completely baffled as to how it has happened. I did notice the paint peeling a few days after purchase and automatically thought I had accidentally damaged the bike. However not long after I noticed that more of the paint was peeling further down the stem. I am waiting to hear from customer services. We'll see what happens fingers crossed

Top Bottom