Brompton rack proves its worth on Day 1!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
So, I've just had some upgrades made to the brompton including the addition of rack and easy wheels.
Straight away I was amazed at how much easier it is to roll when folded, drastically so.

Rode it to work today, with just my basil shoulder bag hanging from the seat loops. Ended up having to bring a few documents home in a folio, that wouldnt fit into bag. Strapped it onto the rack, would have struggled otherwise!
So the rack has earned it's keep straight away!

Other additions - Ergon hand grips, very comfy. 44t chain ring, I practically flew up the hills!!

Very pleased with the upgrades.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Great :-)

Though the EasyWheels do the same without the rack – they're an upgrade I'd recommend to anyone, along with the Brompfication hinge-clamps.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Which Brommie did you get?

I'm thinking of one:

CImage.png

Fab Foodie

It started as an M6L and is now an M6R!
Plain boring black I'm afraid!
Cool!
I would plan to travel on planes with mine in a wheelie case and whiles the thought of 6 gears sound good, I'm concerned about the extra weight and complexity. Most of my customers are in relatively flat places. So 2 speed S-type and maybe Ergon grips + the easywheels would seem to be about as minimal as I could make it! I cant stretch to Ti and the weight difference is negligible anyhow.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Cool!
I would plan to travel on planes with mine in a wheelie case and whiles the thought of 6 gears sound good, I'm concerned about the extra weight and complexity. Most of my customers are in relatively flat places. So 2 speed S-type and maybe Ergon grips + the easywheels would seem to be about as minimal as I could make it! I cant stretch to Ti and the weight difference is negligible anyhow.
Hmm, yes. Living in Sheffield the gears are essential. I could just push it up the big hill to my house with the standard 50t but it was quite hard work, much easier with the 44t.
My plan is that when my hybrid goes kaput in years to come that the brompton will become my one and only, so I need it to get up the hill.
The S type handlebar was too low for me being used to a Sit up and beg, do went for the M, and in retrospect probably should have gone for H.

Fab Foodie

Hmm, yes. Living in Sheffield the gears are essential. I could just push it up the big hill to my house with the standard 50t but it was quite hard work, much easier with the 44t.
My plan is that when my hybrid goes kaput in years to come that the brompton will become my one and only, so I need it to get up the hill.
The S type handlebar was too low for me being used to a Sit up and beg, do went for the M, and in retrospect probably should have gone for H.
I'd couldn't have anything but the S-type being brought-up on drop bar bikes.
I'm constantly surprised and delighted by the numbers that do the FNRttC on Brommies at a goodly pace! Makes me feel quite inadequate ....

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I'd couldn't have anything but the S-type being brought-up on drop bar bikes.
I'm constantly surprised and delighted by the numbers that do the FNRttC on Brommies at a goodly pace! Makes me feel quite inadequate ....
S type still gives a good enough view and feels very much like my MTB or hybrid in body position and overall physical feel. I chose the S for its slightly more forward leaning position and have never wished for the taller bar options. I have a standard 3 speed which I'm happily tootling round Manchester and up & down the side of the Pennines on, I can spin out of top gear on the fast flats & not yet found a hill I couldn't make it up (13 + stone and dodgy knees) invariably sat down.

I'm a complete convert now and if I had to be limited to only 1 bike it would be the Brompton, maybe pimped with a rack and SON dynamo set up for indulgence.

Fab Foodie

S type still gives a good enough view and feels very much like my MTB or hybrid in body position and overall physical feel. I chose the S for its slightly more forward leaning position and have never wished for the taller bar options. I have a standard 3 speed which I'm happily tootling round Manchester and up & down the side of the Pennines on, I can spin out of top gear on the fast flats & not yet found a hill I couldn't make it up (13 + stone and dodgy knees) invariably sat down.

I'm a complete convert now and if I had to be limited to only 1 bike it would be the Brompton, maybe pimped with a rack and SON dynamo set up for indulgence.
Maybe I should consider a 3 speed ....

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
There's not much to choose in terms of complexity. Since you're thinking of a 2 speed, you've only got the added complexity of a 3 speed hub gear, which is as close to fit-and-forget as gearing systems get. If there's any chance that you'll ever take it anywhere hilly, I'd bite the bullet and get a 6 speed. My M6R with T-Bag is perfectly capable of touring, including going up Provencal mountains.

Fab Foodie

There's not much to choose in terms of complexity. Since you're thinking of a 2 speed, you've only got the added complexity of a 3 speed hub gear, which is as close to fit-and-forget as gearing systems get. If there's any chance that you'll ever take it anywhere hilly, I'd bite the bullet and get a 6 speed. My M6R with T-Bag is perfectly capable of touring, including going up Provencal mountains.
Damn ... that'll blow the budget!

Back to the bike builder page then ...

Top Bottom