Brompton Saddle question .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
@Trikeman
Question ... what are the 2 rubber o-rings on the seat-post below the pentaclip for? I have them but no idea what they do!
I've assumed them to just add a level of extra protection against slippage of the pentaclip if you have it at the top of the narrower bit of post. I took them off while fine tuning my saddle height and rails running across top/bottom of the pentaclip and their not being on made no difference.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
[QUOTE 3643927, member: 45"]Soz, I've been reminded that I have 4 young people's taxi runs booked this evening in short succession.[/QUOTE]
No worries .... might have another Carribean night! Thanks all the same.
Cheers
FF.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've assumed them to just add a level of extra protection against slippage of the pentaclip if you have it at the top of the narrower bit of post. I took them off while fine tuning my saddle height and rails running across top/bottom of the pentaclip and their not being on made no difference.
I did the same as mine was s/h I'd assumed they were for summat else .... until I looked closer in some other pictures.

fimm

Veteran
I don't think I've ever ridden the Brompton while wearing padded shorts... that saddle that came with it fell apart in some way (I can't remember) and I put on an old saddle that I had around the place which is a proper sofa of a thing.
(I did once ride it while wearing my triathlon club jacket. I felt a proper idiot and someone asked me if I raced triathlons on the Brompton... no I don't.
Now I stick to civvies or running longs.)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Oh so interesting facts about Brompton seat posts.

1. One of the reasons for using the Pentaclip is to allow removal of the post.

The bottom end of the post is flared to prevent it popping out when you raise it.

If the post needs to be changed, removal of the Pentaclip allows the post to drop out at the bottom of the frame.

2. There is a black plastic shim around the frame seat tube near the quick release.

This means the post can never stick, grip tends to be good due to the gasket effect, and the post is most unlikely to be scratched by the clamp or by moving it up and down.

Obviously good benefits on a Brommie where the seat is up and down all the time.

Top Bottom