Brompton seat height

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
ok, resuscitation time..... I have just bought one and found the solution. When you are born make sure you are genetically disposed towards needing the standard Brompton seat post at exactly the full height

There is a way;

* With the bike unfolded adjust the saddle to the correct height.
* Fold the swing arm under and the main frame.
* Stand next to the bike and make a mental note of where the saddle comes up to on your body.

Now every time you raise the saddle from folded you know where it has to come to to be the right height.

... or hacksaw a line on your hip an use the scar?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Just jiggle the pentaclip around untill full stretch fits perfectly.
As long as you're 5'5" - 5'8" that should work :thumbsup:
Until you change the saddle for one that's not utterly unsuitable a different one.

[QUOTE 3060672, member: 45"]My Mezzo had a scale on the seat post. But then, it wasn't designed when Churchill was PM.[/QUOTE]

Mine also had a scale: every time it rained, dirt and water would go up the seat tube; folding and unfold would rub the dirt against the seat post and within a few months (a year maybe?) the numbers were nicely polished off.

S.Giles

On my (non-Brompton) bicycle, I've done exactly what was suggested above using a hacksaw to lightly mark the tube. Several months later, and the seat tube still hasn't broken in half!

For those who don't trust themselves with a hacksaw, how about having a trophy shop engrave a short (and shallow!) scale on the tube?

Steve

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If you want to know anything about Bromptons, look for a blog called My Orange Brompton and ask the question on there.

Steve

simongt

Guru
I thought that I may have had that problem when I bought my Brommy, but the answer is very simple. On the basis that you cycle in the 'approved' manner, i.e., leg almost fully extended at the bottom of the pedal stroke with the ball of your foot on said pedal, then when you raise the saddle to lock it in position, have the top of the saddle level with the top of your hip. Works a treat - !:thumbsup:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
There's a new gadget available to solve this problem. I'm going to get one next time I'm in the shop and give it a try. The hip level thing does work most of the time but sometimes I'm in a hurry and don't get the height quite right.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I thought that I may have had that problem when I bought my Brommy, but the answer is very simple. On the basis that you cycle in the 'approved' manner, i.e., leg almost fully extended at the bottom of the pedal stroke with the ball of your foot on said pedal, then when you raise the saddle to lock it in position, have the top of the saddle level with the top of your hip. Works a treat - !:thumbsup:
Don't tell @mickle

Top Bottom