Brompton seat height

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Number14

Guru
Got the folding sussed. Got the knack of climbing a 1 in 5 hill. Got the hang of 30 mph + downhill. Haven't got a scooby about getting the seat height the same everytime I unfold it any it's starting to annoy me. Any helpful suggestions? :biggrin:

Mr Phoebus

I'm really lucky that I need the 'standard' seatpost fully extended which takes out any guess work. Although, the Brooks is clamped up a cm higher on the mount to get the ride height correct.

What I'd do if I did need to have it in a critical position is:

Drag a junior hacksaw lightly a few times on the side of the seatpost just to mark a faint line that's visible enough to set to. (maybe it sounds drastic, but isn't)

Small scratch:

Bromptonclirtriangle.jpg

Mr Phoebus

The collar has to be a tight fit to stop post slippage when done up.

I knew what would happen but wanted to see first hand.
So I just got a permanent marker and marked a line on the post of my Brompton.
when I was satisfied it was dry then I undone the seatpost and lowered it
and raised it a few times.

Oh dear, no more mark?

There is a way;

* With the bike unfolded adjust the saddle to the correct height.
* Fold the swing arm under and the main frame.
* Stand next to the bike and make a mental note of where the saddle comes up to on your body.

Now every time you raise the saddle from folded you know where it has to come to to be the right height.

OP
OP
Number14

Number14

Guru
Thanks for the replies. Tried the permanent marker but it's only permanent for a few days.

Told a solution at work: make a hole in the saddle and lower the saddle fully onto the seat post so that the top of the post comes through the hole. Apparently I have a natural apereture that will accommodate the excessive seat post!!

Mr Phoebus

spandex said:
Sorry but I would of said the same 4 years ago until I was shown how much of a weak spot that would course.

My interpretation of marking a post:
Putting a very faint surface scratch, so faint and light that if he sold the bike chances are the new owner would never notice it.

In fact, probably no worse than the scratches that are already there.
It's just that this one will be horizontal.

Sinking in yet?

Alves

You can cut the seat post to size of course although that would alter the resale value.
I have about an inch of spare post so now I pull it all the way up and then drop it back by an inch, hey presto.
Sort of.
What's really annoying is when you get the saddle off to one side and think it'll be OK but it never is until you stop and do it properly.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I just used to look how much seatpost was sticking out of the bottom of the frame and tried to get it about the same each time. Until I found out the standard seatpost was perfect at full height and I didn't need the longer version.

rob_mcp

it occured to me that since it is the flare in the seat post that stops it what you need is a thin walled sleeve to go over the seat post of such a length that your seat post stops at the "top". So you need to work out how much extra post you have, cut the "sleeve" to this size, remove the post, drop the sleeve over it and slot the post back in - however I'm not sure how thin the sleeve would have to be (very I suspect) as it should remain loose on the post and in the frame. Also it may pay to attach it to the bottom of the seat post in some way so that it doesnt' become a permenant and inaccessible part of the frame!

Top Bottom