Brompton Seatpost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tel123

Hi All
First msg, go easy please!!
I am a little guy wanting to buy a Brompton!! I am about 6 inches (inside leg) short of the recommended 33inch with the standard post. Could I cut down the post to the required length??
Appreciate your help/advice
Terry

berlinonaut

Veteran
You do not need to cut the post, just do not pull it out fully - what you quote is the maximum possible extension, not the possible minimum.

mitchibob

Über Member
Well, you need to pull out a certain amount to unfold, and if you then need to lower again, as long as it's not hanging lower than the chainring, I'm guessing it's OK.

However, I've a 30" inside leg I think, and 3" lower on the saddle wouldn't be a problem. I would like to try shorter cranks though (on all my bikes), but that's another story. Seatpost should be fine for you.

Gunk

Guru
Well, you need to pull out a certain amount to unfold, and if you then need to lower again, as long as it's not hanging lower than the chainring, I'm guessing it's OK.

However, I've a 30" inside leg I think, and 3" lower on the saddle wouldn't be a problem. I would like to try shorter cranks though (on all my bikes), but that's another story. Seatpost should be fine for you.

I'm only a 30" inside leg and I'm about 3" off full height of the standard seat post.

Gunk

Guru
You can buy a little Brompton accessory to ensure the post pulls up the right amount each time. It's basically a plastic sleeve that goes between the frame shim and the flare at the bottom of the post.

They’re a great accessory, about £7

0767D637-FD13-4561-8D11-D62708E04031.jpeg

Kell

Veteran
I'm pretty sure there are instructions when you buy those.

But it's not as simple as fitting it then off you go. (Unless you're very lucky)

Essentially, what it does is restrict the amount you pull up the seatpost as the flared bottom jams up against the bottom of the plastic insert.

I'd recommend working out your ideal seat height first (and living with it for a bit to make sure it's correct) then marking your seatpost with a sharpie to indicate correct height. Then you can use this mark to fit the plastic shim.

I didn't do this and it took a fair bit of trial and error to get it spot on as you have to cut bits off the bottom of the plastic to make adjustments. And unfortunately, it makes it a pain in the arse as you can't remove the seatpost without first removing the seat (it all comes out the bottom of the bike).

I've probably made it sound way more complicated than it needs to be, but it should save you a bit of time if you only have to take the seat off once.

Oh - and don't completely take apart the pentaclip (the bit that sits on top of the seatpost and attaches to the seat rails) when you take the seat off either as I had to google how to put that back together too. :blush:

Gunk

Guru
I'm pretty sure there are instructions when you buy those.

But it's not as simple as fitting it then off you go. (Unless you're very lucky)

Essentially, what it does is restrict the amount you pull up the seatpost as the flared bottom jams up against the bottom of the plastic insert.

I'd recommend working out your ideal seat height first (and living with it for a bit to make sure it's correct) then marking your seatpost with a sharpie to indicate correct height. Then you can use this mark to fit the plastic shim.

I didn't do this and it took a fair bit of trial and error to get it spot on as you have to cut bits off the bottom of the plastic to make adjustments. And unfortunately, it makes it a pain in the arse as you can't remove the seatpost without first removing the seat (it all comes out the bottom of the bike).

I've probably made it sound way more complicated than it needs to be, but it should save you a bit of time if you only have to take the seat off once.

Oh - and don't completely take apart the pentaclip (the bit that sits on top of the seatpost and attaches to the seat rails) when you take the seat off either as I had to google how to put that back together too. :blush:

If you just loosen the Pentaclip enough to slid it off the stem it will keep all the positioning. I did a couple of miles test ride before I marked the stem with a marker pen. I must have got lucky as mine is now the perfect height. For fine tuning you can move the Pentaclip up and down the stem.

OP
OP
T

tel123

Hi All ''Got it'. The first thing on the list is the rear frame clip and quick release!! Hasn't got one. The next next thing is to replace the bar grips!! Recommendations?? and who to buy from?? Or should I not ask that last one?? Terry (pics will follow!!)

Top Bottom