Brompton T-Line is here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CEBEP

The video was incredibly boring so I stopped after a short while
it's really amazing, how after questioning how I came to my conclusion that he is the guy who rides his bike day in and day out, using same logic of yours you drawn a conclusion about this guy being:

- not a Brompton rider but just a personality hunting for fame
- doesn't have much experience
- mistreats his bike badly
- tries to become an influencer or youtube personality

based on a single video which you shortly stopped watching after a while. Since unlike you I've watched all of his videos, I can say that you have absolutely no understanding about this guy, what's the purpose of his channel and the rest of your conclusions.

Last edited:

CEBEP

Ti welds are like urine: anything beyond a pale straw colour is trouble.
As far as I know Ti is welded in argon environment. At least that's how Russian titanium submarine parts are welded. Don't know how Brompton does it, but if this is the case, the welding costs alone will bring this bikes production costs really high.

Lake Mendota

It’s great, but still… another product targeting an income bracket well above mine. Maybe that’s where the profit margins are. Bromptons are already pretty pricy. I’d like to get excited about changes to the products I might be able to buy some day, rather than read about products I’ll never be able to afford. Maybe some of this new tech, like the four speed, will make it to their mainstream bikes.

yoho oy

This guy uses his bikes daily, every day to go to work and back, long weekend trips etc. This guy in my opinion is the guy who uses his Brompton day in and day out. The way bike is supposed to be used. And his Brompton is not a Ti one, not super light or something. Just a black, black edition. Let's see what he has to say
The guy is a bit sensationalist and does things to attract the views. In general I don't understand what is his channel all about. Brompton? Zizzo? Biking in general? All sorts of misfortunes? Obsessively "massaging" the bike with replacement parts in order to make it "better"? Did he actually needed a folder to begin with? Fatbike could fare better in winter. How long did he had Brompton for? First video from him with a Brompton appears on 2'd May 2020. On 10'th of October 2020 he made a video of having a Brompton for 6 months. So in a year and 9 months =/- his brompton is a toast... He is going to buy another one, but then he has another 2? One orange and another Chapter 3? Not so sure about what he says about bike longevity. London is quite saturated with Bromptons and many people use them as daily commuters. I think biking is somehow more challenging in London than in USA where he lives. Just compare sidewalk and bike lane width in USA and in London. Plus there are many people who pretty much travelled around the world with the same Brompton.

On other hand I congratulate him on using Bromton in winter. Snow, ice, cold, narrow wheels, high centre of gravity in a back (as he uses extended seat post... Even without snow I don't bike much in winter unless it is really nice weather without any rain and without high wind.

Of the two I've ordered, one will be in a glass case in the living room. All my guests will be highly impressed at my good taste.
The other will be stored in the loft as a standby machine, in case the first one is stolen.

Joking aside - as mentioned, that weld in the photo, did the mop lady do it?

swansonj

Guru
The guy is a bit sensationalist and does things to attract the views. In general I don't understand what is his channel all about. Brompton? Zizzo? Biking in general? All sorts of misfortunes? Obsessively "massaging" the bike with replacement parts in order to make it "better"? Did he actually needed a folder to begin with? Fatbike could fare better in winter. How long did he had Brompton for? First video from him with a Brompton appears on 2'd May 2020. On 10'th of October 2020 he made a video of having a Brompton for 6 months. So in a year and 9 months =/- his brompton is a toast... He is going to buy another one, but then he has another 2? One orange and another Chapter 3? Not so sure about what he says about bike longevity. London is quite saturated with Bromptons and many people use them as daily commuters. I think biking is somehow more challenging in London than in USA where he lives. Just compare sidewalk and bike lane width in USA and in London. Plus there are many people who pretty much travelled around the world with the same Brompton.

On other hand I congratulate him on using Bromton in winter. Snow, ice, cold, narrow wheels, high centre of gravity in a back (as he uses extended seat post... Even without snow I don't bike much in winter unless it is really nice weather without any rain and without high wind.
Could you just unpack "high centre of gravity" for me?

yoho oy

Could you just unpack "high centre of gravity" for me?
Might be it is wrong expression. Basically if you are a bit "heavier" and taller rider, there is a bit stability issue on thin wheels and most bass very high up in the air (if you are using extended seat post. I personally feel that way sometimes, so I try to lower seatpost a little bit more than the best position for my height. I feel that with regular frame there is no such issue, since weight somehow distributes better. Don't get me wrong- Brompton is nice bike, I use everything stock with no additions, or modifications, except different saddle. On other hand I certainly would not ride brompton on ice, in snow or some very difficult terrain. It is designed for city, not as mtb, winter bike or etc.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
High CoG isn't a problem on a bike. It actually reduces the rate at which the bike wobbles (inverted pendulum).

Besides, it's not as if the riding position is different to any other upright bike: and the bike is a tiny proportion of the overall mass, with a 13st ape sitting on it.

swansonj

Guru
Might be it is wrong expression. Basically if you are a bit "heavier" and taller rider, there is a bit stability issue on thin wheels and most bass very high up in the air (if you are using extended seat post. I personally feel that way sometimes, so I try to lower seatpost a little bit more than the best position for my height. I feel that with regular frame there is no such issue, since weight somehow distributes better. Don't get me wrong- Brompton is nice bike, I use everything stock with no additions, or modifications, except different saddle. On other hand I certainly would not ride brompton on ice, in snow or some very difficult terrain. It is designed for city, not as mtb, winter bike or etc.

High CoG isn't a problem on a bike. It actually reduces the rate at which the bike wobbles (inverted pendulum).

Besides, it's not as if the riding position is different to any other upright bike: and the bike is a tiny proportion of the overall mass, with a 13st ape sitting on it.
Yes, I've got no problem with the idea that a Brompton may feel less stable on slippery roads. I'm less convinced that that's anything to do with the CoG. For the same riding position, a Brompton+rider will have a marginally lower CoG than with a normal bike. Many people may adopt a more upright position on a Brompton, which would raise the CoG, but that's not inherent to it being a Brompton. The stability issue surely is to do with wheel size and geometry, not to do with the CoG.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Yes, it's the lower trail of a small wheel, and the need to fold restricts how mhch you can decrease fork offset or slacken head angle to fix it. Besides, a very slack head angle would introduce other undesirable behaviours like "capsize".

Bromptons are stable enough at speed - I've had one up to 50mph - but they are incredibly difficult to ride hands-off. Most people will notice the twitchiness when making hand signals.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Yes, it's the lower trail of a small wheel, and the need to fold restricts how mhch you can decrease fork offset or slacken head angle to fix it. Besides, a very slack head angle would introduce other undesirable behaviours like "capsize".

Bromptons are stable enough at speed - I've had one up to 50mph - but they are incredibly difficult to ride hands-off. Most people will notice the twitchiness when making hand signals.
That’s what I noticed. For some reason I’m fine indicating laft, but a bit wobbly indicating right🤔

OP
OP
B

berlinonaut

Veteran
Some of the clone bikes do have that "feature" - looks a bit chopperesque:

27037722nr.png

It seems that this bikebrand does not exist anymore (at least the former webpage of the brand is currently dead) but a more or less similar bike is sold on the Philippines as "Pico" as well and on their Facebookpage I found a pic side by side with a Brompton which makes it easier to compare:

_nc_ohc=1hk6QedEy4IAX9F5ouV&_nc_ht=scontent-ber1-1.jpg

12boy

Guru
I find Brian's YouTube fairly interesting, especially the contrast between Brompton hinges and the Al framed ones. Assuming he lives in Denver somewhere, riding to Boulder, which is almost 40 miles away, for repairs is unusual.
As far as the T line goes I would like to have one but I am less interested in carbon parts such as cranks and forks as the weight savings is not as important to me as longevity and Ti being rust free. I also wonder if the rear triangle hinge has been upgraded or improved in some way so as to make replacing the bushings more DIY. And what if any changes have occurred with the need for a plastic seat post insert. The Brompton YouTube I saw indicates the only parts carryover are the brakes. I gather it will be some time before the T lines will be as easily gotten as regular Bromptons.

Top Bottom