Brompton T-Line is here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

berlinonaut

Veteran
Works out pretty well, I'm surprised there aren't more commercial solutions to carrying a Brompton on your back.
There are a couple, for many years already. I.e. from Carradice: https://carradice.co.uk/shop/accessories/folding-bike-case/
from Radical Design:
https://www.radicaldesign.com/brompton-backpack
S+S Machine:
http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_back.htm
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/transporting-bicycles/s-and-s-machine-backpack-case-black/
This bag from a Turkish ebay-seller (who is offering those bags for way more than 10 years already):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/115159402264
This system from South Korea via ebay (which has been on offer for a couple of years alreday):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/262531884864

and probably a couple more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

berlinonaut

Veteran
I did have the opportunity to see, touch and ride the T-Line this weekend during a bike fair. Ride quality does not differ massively from a "normal" Bropmton - possibly the T feels a tad stiffer than the steel one I'd say, mainly due to the carbon forks, the stem and different main hinge, possibly also the new shape of the suspension block counts in. Still subjective opinion - hard to tell based on a short test ride with limited terrain.
Lifting the bike on the other hand is an eye-opener. The weight difference feels dramatic. If it was less costly I would probably be very keen on it and thinking about buying one, even more if I didn't own a "normal" 2lx already. At the price not so much for the time being.

OP
OP
B

berlinonaut

Veteran
There was a pretty massive rise in price of the T-Line recently: When it was invented prices looked like this:

42858351gg-png.png

Now they changed them to that:
T-Line-nov22.png

:ohmy:

tinywheels

Über Member
makes me wonder when it will hit its price ceiling.
its in the price range of many attractive options.
there can only be so many foldy obsessed weirdos out there.
Cycle to work schemes are not that big a saving. where will it all end?

Kell

Veteran
I wouldn't say the Cycle to work schemes aren't a big saving. But I don't think it's as much of an incentive as it used to be.

Assuming you stay in your job for the 4 year ownership transfer fee to reach its minimum, it's a minimum of 25%. Though I'm pretty sure most sites are still quoting older figures and say a minimum of 33%.

I've had two bikes through the scheme and I think the first one was around 35% off, and the second (current) one was around that 25% mark. I don't remember the exact figures for either off hand.

Still worth doing.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The increase is by almost exactly CPI. Not really surprising. Some people with telecoms contracts that increase by CPI + 3.9% are going to get a rude shock this year - that's 15%!

Tenkaykev

Guru
The increase is by almost exactly CPI. Not really surprising. Some people with telecoms contracts that increase by CPI + 3.9% are going to get a rude shock this year - that's 15%!

I noticed that smallprint when the Broadband adverts pop up on the TV . We went with Zen internet a few years ago, they had a " no price rise " guarantee if you maintained your contract with them. I got an email earlier in the year with the price guarantee as the subject line and thought, here we go...
The Email was just to say that they would continue to offer the guarantee to existing customers but wouldn't be offering it to new customers.
They have been exemplary when dealing with a couple of technical issues. I pay £35 per month for 80 /20. I could hop around from deal to deal to save a few quid, but having such great customer service, reliability and peace of mind is worth more than the possible savings.

OP
OP
B

berlinonaut

Veteran
In the German market the Single Speed costs now 4.777€ and the T-Line Urban 5.027€. Crossing the 5k price mark for a folder feels very strange and somewhat "wrong". :rolleyes:
While my general interest in the T-Line is still there with the new prices I would need even more justification than before and given that there's no telescopic seat post option (apart from using the steel one with a heft weight penalty) and no H version of the bike I would pay a lot for a bike that would not ergonomically fit me. I could potentially live with the M bars, given that on the T they are wider than on the C as far as I know. However: The seat post is too short.
Also, a rise in price of (in Germany) about 450€ is a dramatic one, may it be inflation based or not. For a bike that is very optional that lowers the attractiveness (but on the other hand: how log will it take until is costs 6000€? :ohmy:).

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
In the UK, many (possibly most) Bromptons are bought using tax-free Cycle to Work schemes. Depending on the scheme and employer*, you can save about half the cost and pay in 12 instalments. This enables much higher prices.

It was noticeable that, when most C2W schemes had a £1,000 ceiling, the price of the old M3L rapidly increased to that figure. Now the ceiling is much higher.

*there are also schemes where the saving is negligible because you don't get the VAT off and the final payment to own is very high, and those are best avoided.

Kell

Veteran
In the German market the Single Speed costs now 4.777€ and the T-Line Urban 5.027€. Crossing the 5k price mark for a folder feels very strange and somewhat "wrong". :rolleyes:
While my general interest in the T-Line is still there with the new prices I would need even more justification than before and given that there's no telescopic seat post option (apart from using the steel one with a heft weight penalty) and no H version of the bike I would pay a lot for a bike that would not ergonomically fit me. I could potentially live with the M bars, given that on the T they are wider than on the C as far as I know. However: The seat post is too short.
Also, a rise in price of (in Germany) about 450€ is a dramatic one, may it be inflation based or not. For a bike that is very optional that lowers the attractiveness (but on the other hand: how log will it take until is costs 6000€? :ohmy:).

It's all horses for courses to some degree.

While I could justify the increased cost on the savings I make by not having to park or take the tube, I can't justify the need over and above a 'normal' Brompton for the same journeys.

Other than just 'want one'.

CaptainWheezy

Über Member
The seat post is too short.

If you're willing to live without the telescopic bit, the H&H Titanium seatposts from Bikegang in Taiwan are available in extended lengths and seem well made. I've got 3 titanium ones, and 2 carbon ones (we have 5 Bromptons!, 2x S6L's, 2x S6L-X's & 1x T explore or whatever they call the 4 speed), albeit the sorter length variants.

OP
OP
B

berlinonaut

Veteran
If you're willing to live without the telescopic bit, the H&H Titanium seatposts from Bikegang in Taiwan are available in extended lengths and seem well made. I've got 3 titanium ones, and 2 carbon ones (we have 5 Bromptons!, 2x S6L's, 2x S6L-X's & 1x T explore or whatever they call the 4 speed), albeit the sorter length variants.

Not really. For one the seat post on the T-line is a massive weight saver with it's construction of carbon with a very thin layer of stainless steel. And probably a massive price factor as well. The non telescopic posts avail. are typically either 580mm or 600mm (like the longer one from Brompton that's avail for the C-line). So as long as there's nothing like a 650mm or 700mm going for 3rd party won't help. I could live with the post sticking out further in folded state but not with knees hurting due to a too short post. I do own 3rd party aluminium-, ti- and carbon-posts but they are too short either (even being 600mm) - they got thus transferred to the Moulton TSR or reside on the spare parts cupboard.

CaptainWheezy

Über Member
Not really. For one the seat post on the T-line is a massive weight saver with it's construction of carbon with a very thin layer of stainless steel. And probably a massive price factor as well. The non telescopic posts avail. are typically either 580mm or 600mm (like the longer one from Brompton that's avail for the C-line). So as long as there's nothing like a 650mm or 700mm going for 3rd party won't help. I could live with the post sticking out further in folded state but not with knees hurting due to a too short post. I do own 3rd party aluminium-, ti- and carbon-posts but they are too short either (even being 600mm) - they got thus transferred to the Moulton TSR or reside on the spare parts cupboard.

The T-Line seatpost isn't really that impressive when compared with the aftermarket Titanium ones. I weighed mine including pentaclip and it came in at about 385g (standard length). The H&H Matte Titanium post which includes the far less fiddly seat clamp comes in at 320g and to my eye looks a lot better. Fortunately for me, the H&H standard length post is a perfect fit for me.

mitchibob

Über Member
I just got to lose some more weight!. Unless I'm at the minimum of 'normal', really can't justify this bike, no matter how cool it looks. Price? ridiculous. Not sure how many times I'd have to ride from Treherbert to Candem to justify on 'Cycle to work' scheme, but I guess ride from Paddington, plus couple Regents Park laps, counts ;-). But, still feel it could do with a Classified Powershift Hub for up by here (my valleys accent hasn't come back yet, but certain expressions come back). Plus for that money, there should at least be dual sided power meter in there. Surely it's a 'hill-climb' Brompton, but didn't see one at Urban Hill Climb.

Problem is, the T-line is gorgeous! But love my other Brommies too, so, until I can fully justify, I'm staying clear! Perhaps if they add option to have Welsh Dragons engraved?

Also, why not lighten a bit more by using tan-wall tyres?!?! I mean, tan-wall contis would be great for this bike, no?

Last edited:
Top Bottom