Brompton tool options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
To fix a flat you will need a 15 mm wrench, patches and tire irons. I have heard you can pull the tube without taking the wheel off, but i have never done that and that requires you know where the puncture is. Sometimes in the rain or snow it is easier to find the thorn or glass sticking through the tire,remove that and just use a new tube, fixing the bad one at home. I have,especially when trying out different handlebars or new brakes, found it good to be able to adjust those things with an allen wrench. I have also had a quiklink fail about ten miles out and it was nice to have another. However, where I live there is no public transportation, so the option of getting to the destination that way is not available.

OP
OP
P

Plumpton

Regular
My bike is on order and still a few weeks away. The brompton site says a pump is not included. I have read it'd rubbish but as a last option on the side of the path, its probably better than nothing. I suspect I will end up with the Marathon + tyres, brompton tool kit and pump so that I can travel very light.

My colleagues at work are avid cyclists and they have a small bag on the back of their saddles with the basics...

I've chosen the standard brompton saddle for my bike and assume I could connect a small bag to the saddle and carry some basics. That would probably be cheaper than the brompton kit but not as neat?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Yes, I have fixed a puncture on my Brompton once in the last four - five years.
QED

For the £50 the Brompton toolkit will cost you'll get a 30-minute taxi ride in most of the country.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've chosen the standard brompton saddle for my bike and assume I could connect a small bag to the saddle and carry some basics. That would probably be cheaper than the brompton kit but not as neat?
I think so. I have a small tool bag that moves between the various bags I attach to various bikes (most often either an Alpkit Airlok Xtra or a satchel), along with the appropriate inner tube for that trip's bike.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Kell

Veteran
Clearly, it's not going to get as much pressure in as a track pump. And without a gauge, it's hard to tell. But I've found mine useful for topping up.

I'm also pretty sure that as it's a zefal there will be a presta valve fitting that you could buy or insert from another pump.

My old zefal pump for example has a valve that comes out and turns over to go from Schrader to Presta. Not checked this one yet, but as I've not seen it mentioned anywhere, I'm going to assume it doesn't.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I agree with SRW, My Brommy pump was absolute dross vs the Topeak pocket rocket & Lezyne mini pump I also have, it went in the bin. track pumps don't come into it.

Top Bottom