Brompton tool options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plumpton

Regular
Hi all. Whilst I'm waiting for my brompton to arrive I'm sitting down and thinking of tools...

My riding is mainly going to be rural roads so a mobile phone and debit card is not as ideal as it would be in a city. With that in mind I do think I need to carry a small puncture repair kit.

My current plan is to travel very light and get the Brompton branded in frame tool kit and pump. That means the basics are stored on/in the bike.

I know I could carry a much cheaper and better kit in a ruck sack but I reckon I'll be out and about without a bag...

I'd welcome a more experienced view from you all...

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Unless they've very significantly upgraded it, the Brompton pump is worse than useless.

What sort of mechanicals are you thinking of having? The only ones I've had while out and about that have stopped me riding are punctures - and Marathon plus tyres more or less put paid to them. Getting off the wheels (particularly the back one) is such a faff that I'd rather pay the small speed penalty of decently puncture-proof tyres than try and mend anything while riding.

Yes, I mainly ride in the city - but I think I'd think the same if I was mainly a country rider.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Zefal do a good little puncture repair canister (single use: pull out the sharp object, shake, invert and connect the canister, spray it in, ride 3km, pump up, complete the ride) and wiggle has some good little pumps in their lifeline range (hose connection is essential for me). Messy if they fail, though.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I have the Brompton tool and it is not only a thing of beauty but a thing of quality too, it is one of the best presents I've ever received, all I've added into it is a couple of skab glueless patches. I keep a spare inner tube in the long section of frame & I have a small leatherman pliers multitool on my keyring all the time. I've taken to switching my Brompton toolkit to my other bikes when I take them now.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I have some scab patches, two tyre levers, a 15 mm spanner and a small multitool stuffed in the front part of the frame. All the functionality of the Brompton tool, but I didn't need to buy anything.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I have the Brompton tool and it is not only a thing of beauty but a thing of quality too, it is one of the best presents I've ever received, all I've added into it is a couple of skab glueless patches. I keep a spare inner tube in the long section of frame & I have a small leatherman pliers multitool on my keyring all the time. I've taken to switching my Brompton toolkit to my other bikes when I take them now.
This +1.

OP
OP
P

Plumpton

Regular
Thanks for your replies. I wont be doing enough mileage to need to do serious road side repairs but I would be happy sorting a puncture so I guess I need atleast a tyre lever, some patches and something to pump up the tyre. If the brompton pump is as bad as people say it is, can I store a co2 canister inside the frame or would that be a stupid thing to do?

Its already been suggested that I use that slime stuff so maybe that's enough?

OP
OP
P

Plumpton

Regular
Marathon or Marathon + ?

srw

Marathon or Marathon + ?
Either. Marathons do puncture occasionally, M+ almost never unless they're worn or you hit a six-inch nail.

On a tandem (so twice as much rider weight), a bit of very sharp gravel has punctured our Marathons. On the other tandem, it took a half-inch very sharp flint to puncture the M+.

OP
OP
P

Plumpton

Regular
I spec'd marathons when ordering the bike. My dealer has offered to swap them for Marathon + tyres before I take delivery of the bike.

Maybe I'll take that offer and not bother carrying a puncture repair kit around with me...

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I do find that the M+ tyres puncture more on the Brompton than on the hybrid. I guess it's the the route I use & the fact that it does more miles per week. That's why I also use Slime which generally seems to hold things together for about 10 miles.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Plumpton said:
Thanks for your replies. I wont be doing enough mileage to need to do serious road side repairs but I would be happy sorting a puncture so I guess I need atleast a tyre lever, some patches and something to pump up the tyre. If the brompton pump is as bad as people say it is, can I store a co2 canister inside the frame or would that be a stupid thing to do?

Its already been suggested that I use that slime stuff so maybe that's enough?
The Brompton pump is genuinely terrible, I use a Lezyne mini pump that I've zip tied the holder to the frame and it's head sits in the head piece on the frame, it all holds perfectly and without rattling or looseness.
I've not had a flat on my Brompton yet with the standard Kevlar tyres fitted, I am quite careful with keeping them well pumped up and cleaning out any bits of debris. My Birdy has Marathon Green Guards and they're excellent bombproof just a step down from the top level M+ rubber.

12boy

Guru
I have 3 Lezyne pumps, a floor and two shorties for my bikes. I carry a tool roll which has a 15 mm wrench, the shorty Lezyne, 4, 5 and 6 mm allen wrenches, a couple of steel tire irons, some glueless patches, a spare innertube, a spare quik link and a few zip ties. The tool roll is about 8 inches long and 3 thick and goes in my bike bag or pack. With these things I can leave home, go to another city and know I can deal with most issues short of pulling a crank. Replace brakes, adjust the saddle, fix a flat, whatever. I have two shorty Lezynes because I have one tool bag for my Brompton and one for my Surly which has 700 c wheels. I don't get many flats with Schwalbe Marathons but I don't want to be 20 miles from home and have that be the time I get one. I like some kind of a front bag or saddlebag to carry my tool roll and jacket, gloves etc if needed.

srw

Has anyone ever actually needed any of those tools they carry with them on a Brompton while away from home?

Genuine question - I can understand taking tools for a multi-day tour, but not for a day ride.

Top Bottom