Brompton tool options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
AmI right in thinking that the Topeak pump will fit in the same space as the original Brompton pump?
the pocket rocket has a smaller head section, You could fettle the pump bit on the brompton frame I guess, tho I've not tried that, My Lezyne ABS flex hose pump is a better fit, tho still smaller than the Brommy Zefal one.

I just ordered the Tern multi tool from Evans, £21.59. Not exactly a thing of beauty like the Brompton tool kit but handsome is as handsome does.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdyHWzw98TM

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Nice looking tool, couple of drawbacks vs the Brompton - the frame fitting is a real bonus for the Brompton for travelling light days, Wearing regular trousers with a smartphone, wallet and housekeys in the pockets already, a multitool with patch kit box is going to be a very tight fit or uncomfortable lump extra to work in????

A couple of glueless patches also sit nicely in the Brompton tool so it really does't need the extra patch box to add bulk or lose in the cold and wet at the roadside.

The allen keys/screwdrivers in the Brompton kit are the ubiqutous interchangeable head types o easily replaceable if damaged or worn & on a longer lever ratchet too, so are a moment of simplicity and more than enough leverage to use in even the tightest of spots, more akin to using a 'proper' allen key set v the more standard stubbier multitool, style on the Tern.

I was wondering about the 15mm spanner in that vid and was pleased to see that they had thought of that and made it more effective than first impression, but the Brompton again is a more solid one by the looks of it, ring headed so less chance of nut rounding (or knuckle skinning) slippage and is a comfortable doddle to use with the tool 'box' designed to act as the wide long comfortable handle, it is set up with the ring head already out so it works immediately without any faff or construction at all.

On the upside for the Tern tool - it is less than half the price and the nifty looking chain tool included within the unit that has clearly been well thought out and seems a better thing that a usual multitool chain tool device are both real winners over the Brompton one.

chris folder

Hi:hello: the brompton tool don't fit all brompton bikes the older models the inner hole though the frame is slightly smaller on the bikes the tool will not fit in bike frame

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Hi:hello: the brompton tool don't fit all brompton bikes the older models the inner hole though the frame is slightly smaller on the bikes the tool will not fit in bike frame
I guess it was designed to fit the frame they currently produce.

Unlucky for older Brompton owners I guess but, its not in Brompton's interest to manufacture a relatively new product that only fits an obsolete frame dimension.

Oddly but lucky me, that it fits perfectly in the seat tube of my 2001 original frame Birdy

chris folder

Hi:hello: I think it's brompton bikes before 2009 the tool kit dont fit. The kit only slots inside frame 3/4 top half of kit sticks out and bike cant clamp together

jay clock

Massive member
+1 for the fancy tool kit being stunning just to own and look at
+1 for repairing a Marathon at the roadside being the worst of all cycle repair jobs

jay clock

Massive member
also I have a 2014 Brompton and the couple of occasions I used the pump it was fine

snazpizaz

I have 3 Lezyne pumps, a floor and two shorties for my bikes. I carry a tool roll which has a 15 mm wrench, the shorty Lezyne, 4, 5 and 6 mm allen wrenches, a couple of steel tire irons, some glueless patches, a spare innertube, a spare quik link and a few zip ties. ......

what are the zip ties used for ?

12boy

Guru
Zip ties can secure flopping cables, attach fenders, hold a jacket onto saddle rails and do many temporary fixes fairly well. They weigh almost nothing.

shingwell

You can get re-usable zip ties (try ebay) - I keep a few tied to the ring spanner of the B tool kit so they are basically stored inside the frame, but you can get them out again.

Top Bottom