Brompton touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A few good folk on here have mentioned touring on a Brompton. How were your gears configured? I think Brompton does a 1-, 2-, 3- and 6-gear version as standard but I've heard of people modifying up to 11 gears. How easy is it to upgrade to 11? Also, what was your average or typical distance per day? Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
A few good folk on here have mentioned touring on a Brompton. How were your gears configured? I think Brompton does a 1-, 2-, 3- and 6-gear version as standard but I've heard of people modifying up to 11 gears. How easy is it to upgrade to 11? Also, what was your average or typical distance per day? Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Hi @smith4188
I've done a couple of trips on my B and found it a good machine. Starting at the beginning I have a secondhand S6L with the 50T chainring (Std). On my first tour in 30 or so years I cobbled together some old kit, packed a tent, full kit and rode 60 miles without issue. I did resolve to swap the chainring for the -12% 44T option after grunting up a few hillsunloaded:

IMG_2093.JPG

Not the slickest, but it worked a treat!

Still fully loaded I found the 44T a struggle on steep and long inclines. Also I missed the 50T top gear when unloaded and racing downhills.

As I was contemplating a tour in the Outer Hebrides the next step was to swap the Brompton Chainset for a cheap Stronglight 50/34 double. It fitted just fine with no mods (a couple links out of the chain might help) but it was ready to go. Cost of upgrade £50. OK, you can fit a front derailleur and lever with a bit of ingenuity, but for me that's over-complicating things.
Effectively I use it as a 2 range system. If I know I've a hilly day I use the 34 which hauled me over the hills of Harris without issue. Flattter days, use the big ring. Simples. When I tour I'm not in a rush.

IMG_4608.JPG

It worked a treat for me anyhow.

There are expensive mods with Rohloff or Nexus gears, but this works for me, weigh's bugger-all and maintains the simplicity.

Unless you want to travel far or fast, the Brompton's a treat. Unladen I've done 100 miles happily in a day so it's comfortable. Easy to get on trains etc
It and all my kit fits happily inside my Banshee 200 with me which is an advantage. Also forms part of a tarp set-up!

IMG_4707.JPG

40 to 50 miles laden on tour is enough, I like to see stuff.

Cheers
FF

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've done a few Brompton tours.
My most recent was in Provence - TGV to Avignon, mostly following the Luberon route http://www.luberon-apt.fr/index.php/fr/bouger/a-velo but with a trip to Sault to do Ventoux and the Gorge de Nesque, and then down to Isle sur la Sorgue and back to Avignon. Probably about 280k or so, and about 55k each day. I could have easily done more, but I wasn't trying to make it a route march, plus I was kinda-governed by where hotels were, and my desire to be in Apt on Tuesday night to get a bus to Sault on Wednesday morning. That bus saved me 25k of climbing on a busyish road.
I was on a bog standard M6R with T-Bag, bar ends and SPDs. I've since modded the bike with a 44/34 chainset to eliminate the 99" top gear (which I didn't really need) and give me a lower gear. The 34 ring drops the gearing still further, by about a gear-and-a-half. There's always a day when you want a gear you haven't got!

Fab Foodie

reppans

Count me in too... This bike has rekindled my interest in bike touring (after quitting decades ago) by erasing most of my touring "issues." (Although recently getting into ultra-light was big factor too.)

M6R with -12% gearing. 40-50 miles/day for me too - I like to do things, other than ride, along the way. I've been working on the efficiency differences to my 700x32 CX/gravel bike and think I'd only go ~2 miles further on that bike (on road).

29681363256_4caa9d1fb0_b.jpg

31731814441_2e3d6a93d8_z.jpg

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Rocky, did you ride up to Hamburg from Rotterdam and what was it like? I have ridden the Danish section and found it to be pretty boring.

I have the 5 speed one - very nice as no derailleur. Not been made since the turn of the century but good second hand examples may be available. Have thought of touring on it for a while but decided I'd stick with my more conventional bikes - easier packing. Is there a reason for this Mr Primrose? - a new book in the offing?

Fab Foodie

The more I see and read about these lovely little bikes the more I want one :wub:
Have planted a wee seed in Mr M's head about getting a couple in the future, so we can take them away at weekends and holidays, days out, etc :smile:
Wish me luck :ohmy:
You won't regret it :-)

Top Bottom