Brompton tyres

Discussion in 'Folding Bikes' started by avole, 18 May 2018.

Tags:
  1. avole

avole Guest

Having just lashed out on some Schwalbe Kojak tyres, I'm just wondering whether the fact they're lighter and have a different tread pattern to the Marathons they'll replace will have any impact on performance, especially given the Brompton is a heavy bike and used for shopping, touring etc.

2. chriscross1966

chriscross1966 Senior Member

They feel nicer and a chunk faster than a Marathon Plus.. they also get more punctures, but are easy to get on and off the rim.

Last edited: 18 May 2018
  3. OP
    OP
    avole

avole Guest

I'm glad to hear that. It was after struggling with a marathon puncture I decided to try the kojacs.

4. chriscross1966

It takes some doing to puncture a Marathon Plus

5. alicat

alicat Legendary Member

I think the OP punctured a Marathon tyre not a Marathon Plus. I have punctured my Marathon tyres at least twice.

chriscross1966 likes this.
  6. chriscross1966

Good point..

alicat likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    avole

avole Guest

I do have Marathon Plus, slated originally to go on the Brompton when the original Marathons finally wear out. The Neo takes the same size - unsurprising, since it is a slightly modified Brompton clone - so the Pluses may go on that.

8. Having used both marathon and marathon plus tyres on a few types of my bikes including Brompton, I failed to see the advantage of the plus over the ordinary marathon. Perhaps marginally less punctures , but this is offset against, cost, ride quality and ease of removal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice