Brookes saddle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
But the OP's criteria for a new (to it) saddle on this Carlton are unclear. Is it a 'look', or authenticity, or a long term fit, or a combination (in which case they need to have a go at putting the requirements in an order.
The OP put serious effort and expense getting this lovely old steed up to scratch.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
B17 imperial - has worked for me where others haven't.

Spa cycles do a range of leather saddles about 50% of the price of the Brooks.

They don't break in much though , taken one off a bike after 2000+ miles because I'd finally had enough .

hoopdriver

Guru
Saddles are a very personal choice. What works splendidly for me may not work for you. That said, I've ridden on nothing but Brooks saddles for over 35 years and have found them to be superb. I have never had any trouble whatever breaking them in, nor suffered much (if any) discomfort in doing so. They last forever, and are beautifully made. I have done a lot of riding and touring on them. When I did a solo 10,000-mile trek through the Australian outback some years ago, I was on a Brooks B-17 the whole time and honestly never gave the saddle a thought. Totally comfortable the entire time. I have B-17 saddles on all my bicycles and honestly, wouldn't consider riding on anything else.

Gunk

Guru
I have a Brooks swift on my Brompton and it’s a form over function, my preference on an older steel framed racing bike is either a San Marco Rolls or Concor much lighter and more comfortable

postman

Legendary Member
E lad from a Yorkshireman with a Brooks B17 on his bike since Nov 1987.They are a thing of beauty once they are broken in.So comfy but they do take a long time.But as BB states be careful on bay.com,anything with an e in it will be a fake.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I agree with Gunk ,San Marco Rolls is a very comfortable saddle and looks period correct on an older steel frame bike , unless it’s a tourer then it’s got to be leather. If the bike is for riding and not for show the saddle has got to be comfortable ,so if that means a modern saddle so be it. Let’s face it when your riding no one can see what your backside is perched on.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Brooks look good but modern saddles with pressure relief channels are far more comfortable and better for you.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
There are photos and links to photos of Carlton Stadiums on this thread. The plastic saddle might be original.

Those rock hard plastic saddles were standard fitment to Raleigh family low end "racers" of the 70's and early 80's. They were cheap and that's why they were fitted. On the plus side, Raleigh at least cut corners on the saddle which is a trivial component - rather than say cutting corners on the quality of the frame.
I had a hard plastic job on my own Raleigh Arena. It was slippery, tough as old boots, and could be scraped against walls and left out in the rain with absolutely no effect. On a rough road, you felt every bump. I must have had a tough arse back then, because it didn't bother me in the slightest, nor any of the other youngsters who rode similar bikes.
Would I ride one now? Well, yes I would, but only on the lowest of the low pub hack used for short journeys, nothing over a couple of miles.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Brooks look good but modern saddles with pressure relief channels are far more comfortable and better for you.
Your a Wimp sorry Pete .Get your self a rock hard Brooks , it may reduce you to tears but you will look like a proper old school cyclist and well‘ard . And a certain part of your anatomy will become well’ard too. :laugh:

Top Bottom