Brooks 860g saddle. Will it be too heavy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
How heavy is the bag when full? How heavy is the current sadle? Compare and consider the difference.

The bag is about 3 bottles of beer,a large pie,a flask and spare cloths in weights worth. The current saddle is a bog standard one, so i'd say around 350 to 500g maybe.

Last edited:

dim

if you want a good touring saddle .... forget out the springs and look at the Brooks Cambium C17 carved .... designed for touring/long distance and extremely comfortable (I have on on my Giant TCR)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I noticed the extra weight when I changed to a cheapie Spa leather saddle.

So you will probably notice extra weight as well, but only you can say if it's too much.

You could try taping a tin of beans to your current saddle as a test.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd planned on buying one, luckily I had a spin on Chris' bike with one fitted, not only do they squeak but the up 'n' down movement is a bit disconcerting, maybe you get used to it in time. I'd get a B17 (same top) or a B17n (they fit my 'sit bones' better) and both are cheaper

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Springs are unnecessary on a saddle now, and there's a reason they don't really make them that way anymore. (Well, except Brooks, for those that want that look, which is understandable up to a point!).

If you want the look, go for it and enjoy it, but then don't start fretting about weight. A slightly heavier saddle isn't going to make your Ridgeback topple over. It looks nice, spend your money and enjoy it!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'd planned on buying one, luckily I had a spin on Chris' bike with one fitted, not only do they squeak but the up 'n' down movement is a bit disconcerting, maybe you get used to it in time. I'd get a B17 (same top) or a B17n (they fit my 'sit bones' better) and both are cheaper

I've seen plenty Brooks saddles but none with springs. I reckon they'll be very comfy. WHEN you get used to the springyness!:smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Springs are unnecessary on a saddle now, and there's a reason they don't really make them that way anymore. (Well, except Brooks, for those that want that look, which is understandable up to a point!).

If you want the look, go for it and enjoy it, but then don't start fretting about weight. A slightly heavier saddle isn't going to make your Ridgeback topple over. It looks nice, spend your money and enjoy it!

The only trouble is the saddle bag will probably hide the springs from view,when attached to the saddle loops.

Top Bottom