Brooks 860g saddle. Will it be too heavy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
They do squeak but, like tinnitus, you only notice it when it is quite.

Quite what?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I bought a brooks b67 S a couple of weeks ago. it has spring's as well. I love it. I only notice the springy bit when I go over uneven ground then you can feel the bounce. It's brilliant .

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just buy a Charge Spoon, no need to break it in (i.e.stretch it) no need to worry about it getting wet, lightweight at 260 gms, cheap at £19.75 from Ribble, instant comfort, looks traditional.

6164kyibT7L._SL1206_.jpg

Attachments

• 6164kyibT7L._SL1206_.jpg
    6164kyibT7L._SL1206_.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
860g for a saddle, good god. Marathon Plus of the saddle world. :tongue:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I once tried a Brooks Swift saddle, which I think is sold as the lightweight version. I was so shocked at the weight, the crudeness of manufacture and the discomfort that I sold it straight on. I expect that if I had persisted with it, it would have stretched and sagged to fit my sit bones but it looked as if it was beaten together by a blacksmith in the same factory that used to make medieval chastity belts.

I think "Leather saddles are the best" is another cycling myth that ought to be consigned to Room 101 along with "Superglue can seal cuts in tyres".

tyred

Legendary Member
My dealings with vintage bikes have taught me the advantages of sprung saddles.

I love them. They really do reduce fatigue on long rides if you favour an upright riding position.

Another good design for the practical cyclist which has largely bitten the dust due to the drive for cheaper and lighter bikes. :sad:

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
A person either has a Brooks arse or they are not worthy of one.

I had a B17 from the age of 17-29, then it got dry, and broke, so I bought a new one, persisted with the agony for two months then sold it. I ride Charge Spoons now and they are marvellous. I'm not even sure if the Brooks was ever as comfortable.

Top Bottom