Brooks B72 for touring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oxford_guy

Über Member
Hi - I'm thinking of getting a Brooks saddle for my Hewitt Cheviot SE tourer, I was wondering if people think the Brooks B72 (in antique brown, of course) would make a good touring saddle?:

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=8979&categoryID=354

Its lighter and has less "rock" than the vertically sprung Champion/Flyer and am thinking more comfy for long tours than the unsprung B17.

My only concerns with it (given that I've not seen one in the flesh) are:

* will the fitting fit my seatpost? I don't understand the differences between single and dual rail mounting, am unsure which the B72 is and whether it will fit my seatpost (a Kalloy R Type )

* is the B72 the right shape for a drop-handled touring bike, I know some saddles are better for a more upright riding position

If anyone has experience of using the B72, could you let me know? Thanks

jags

Guru
look's fantastic ,i have the champion special b17, super saddle very pleased with it,not what you want to know,but as long as it fit's your seat post.

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
jags said:
look's fantastic ,i have the champion special b17, super saddle very pleased with it,not what you want to know,but as long as it fit's your seat post.

Well, I'm now actually wondering if the Flyer/Champion (what's the difference?) special may be a more appropriate shape for a touring bike with drops than the wider B72...

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I can't comment on your proposed purchase but all of my 1000km+ tours and the shorter ones, have been done with B17 saddles. I don't think that I've seen anyone who has recommended a Brooks saddle for touring recommend anything other than a B17.

I've found them comfortable from day one and have them fitted to four of my bikes.

andym

Über Member
vernon said:
I don't think that I've seen anyone who has recommended a Brooks saddle for touring recommend anything other than a B17.

The sprung saddles have their fans too. I suspect that the reason why so many people recommend the B17 is that because of the price it's the saddle most people buy as a first Brookes saddle and they either get on with it and become Brookes Apostles or they don't, and so don't trade-up for something more expensive.

oxford-guy saddles are very much a matter of personal preference. Brookes saddles are well-made and long lasting. A lot of people find them very comfortable, but others don't. Try it - if you don't like it you can always sell for a good price on eBay.

ASC1951

Guru
andym said:
Try it - if you don't like it you can always sell for a good price on eBay.
Particularly to the US. Perhaps they don't get the hang of exchange rates, but I have seen new-ish Brooks go for 15% more than the cost of brand new + delivered.

Top Bottom