Brooks Cambium saddle - should it be comfortable straight away?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John_S

Über Member
Hi All,

I am currently trialing a Brooks Cambium C15 which I’ve been lucky to get on loan. I’ve been thinking about getting a Brooks Cambium saddle not because of a specific problem with my current saddle but more from the point of view that if I can get something more comfortable than what I have then that would be great.

In terms of the riding that I do I commute all year around in all weathers plus when I get the chance (which is only a couple of times of year because the weekends are always packed due to having young kids) I like to either do Audax rides or just 100 – 200km rides that I plan myself. I’m not interested in any form of racing at all and I just enjoy my cycling at my own pace.

I’ve always liked the idea of a Brooks saddle but rather than this being from any actual experience or specific logic it’s because of the heritage of the brand/saddles plus I just like the look of them. I’ll hold my hands up at this not being a particularly logical way of choosing a saddle. However I’ve always avoided buying a leather saddle due to commuting all year around and having to leave my bike open to the elements whilst at work I’ve not wanted the added maintenance of looking after a leather saddle. This is what has led me to consider buying a Cambium saddle.

So far having used the saddle to commute this week I’ve not immediately taken to it. Therefore I just wondered if there’s anyone out there who has one of the Cambium saddles and if so whether it’s a saddle that immediately felt right or if it’s something that took a while to get used to but was worth it in the end?

I could be completely wrong on this but I thought that these rubber Cambium saddles are unlike the leather saddles which need a period of bedding in. From what I’d read & heard I thought that the Cambium saddles are what they are out of the box and so don’t really break in or change over time?

At the moment even after say the first ten miles on the saddle I felt a bit uncomfortable to the point where I was trying to wriggle about on the saddle to relive the pressure on what I assume are my sit bones. Then when I get on the bike at the end of the day to ride home I feel immediately sore as soon as I get on the saddle. It’s not that it’s terrible pain or anything like that but it’s just a bit uncomfortable and that’s on commute rides of around 20 miles so I don’t know what it might be like on say 100 or 200km audax rides.

At the moment I just have the stock saddles on my bikes which is a Madison saddle on my Genesis Day One and then I’ve got a Kona Classic Road saddle with titanium rails and a carve out. In the past the only saddle I’ve ever purchased was for a Trek hybrid bike and I went to a LBS and they had something that you could sit on and it would tell you the width of saddle you needed according to your sit bones. At that time I bought a Bontrager Nebula Plus saddle but that was about 6 years ago now and despite looking at the saddle I can’t see any writing to tell me which width I actually bought back then other than it has a blue dot sticker on but I’ve no idea whether that indicated the size/width.

Prior to getting this loan saddle I was really looking forward to trying the Cambium saddle because I thought that the basic principle of the hammock design of the rubber suspended over rails could only be more comfortable than what I’ve used before. However going by my experience so far this week my current thought is that perhaps this just isn’t the saddle for me and I won’t be buying one.

If anyone has any thoughts on the Cambium saddles and whether it’s something that I should consider actually buying and persevering with, because maybe they get more comfortable over time, I’ll be grateful for any thoughts.

Thanks,

John

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
AIUI the Cambium is as you say - out of the box comfy (or not). No breaking-in required, other than of your bits, not the saddle's.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
How did you choose the width? Assuming the size numbers are similar to the leather ones, you'll need a saddle about 2cm wider than for a plastic-shelled saddle to allow space for the rear support rail which you shouldn't sit on.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Not sure I agree Drago, I have a Brooks leather saddle that was akin to sitting on polished granite for about 4 or 5 years, my bottom never having any effect on it. However it finally became comfortable only after a soaking in a horse tack dressing (recommended by I think, Jayonabike of this parish) plus some extensive riding afterwards, and now it's like climbing into a favourite armchair... v lovely. So I do think you can bed in a leather Brooks, but it's an effort and there's a knack.

The Cambium, well you'd be right about that. It's either going to feel good or it's not. No amount of treatments or rides will change it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

U

User482

I have the C17. It feels comfortable immediately, even if you're not wearing padded shorts. However, I think it's a bit too wide - on longer rides I've had a bit of chafing at the top of my thigh. The saddlebag loops are a bonus if you use a Carradice.

A Fabric Scoop is about to go on my other bike - it will be interesting to compare the two.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I have the C17 Cambium, it was fine out of the box. 2,500 miles later it's still fine. (I also have a leather Brooks B17 and a Brooks Pro Team and, as far as I'm concerned, neither required any breaking in - apart from an initial 15 miles to take the slipperiness off them.) Your bottom may vary. (Edit: I've never used padded shorts with any of these saddles.)

Last edited:
U

User169

I've got one on loan and did a 200km audax on it last weekend. It's quite hard compared to other saddles I've used (Fizik and Fabric most recently). Felt a bit achey at about half way, but that seemed to clear up and it was absolutely fine. I don't think they break in, so if it doesn't suit you from the get go, it may not get any better.

U

User169

I have the C17. It feels comfortable immediately, even if you're not wearing padded shorts. However, I think it's a bit too wide - on longer rides I've had a bit of chafing at the top of my thigh. The saddlebag loops are a bonus if you use a Carradice.

A Fabric Scoop is about to go on my other bike - it will be interesting to compare the two.

I think the Scoop is great. The only thing I prefer about the C15 is the slightly rough surface. The Scoop is very shiny and I feel sometimes I'm sliding around on it. That may improve if the surface abrades a little.

OP
OP
J

John_S

Über Member
Hi All,

Many thanks for all of the replies as this is really useful stuff!

Further to mjr's question about how I chose the width there was no thought that went into this (which could possibly be the problem) but basically the bike shop has only one Cambium saddle for loan which is the C15 so there's no choice between the widths if you want to trial one.

Following mjr's advice that I want a saddle that's 2cm wider than my current plastic saddle I'll get home tonight and measure the widths of my current saddle versus the Cambium to check the difference. However if I did go for something wider I'd be a bit concerned about the potential for chaffing the thighs as mentioned by User482.

I've got the loan saddle until Saturday and although I'm at work, so unfortunately no chance for a nice long all day ride, I will at least get a bit more time to evaluate the saddle on the remaining commutes this week.

Anyway thanks for all of the advice which is great food for thought!

John

Top Bottom