Brooks saddle sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
I've picked up a nice Raleigh SPD 531 frame that [owing to a rattle can spray job] is ripe for doing a post-modern restoration - New groupset etc, but keeping the look as retro as possible.

This means I want my first, overdue, Brooks saddle but even the sportier numbers seem to be wide compared to my Specialized saddles. Don't get me wrong; with 145mm sit bones, I normally ride a 155mm saddle, so a wide choice of wide is welcome, it's just that they're soooo much wider.

I'm wondering if there's something I should know?

Cheers,

Russ

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've picked up a nice Raleigh SPD 531 frame that [owing to a rattle can spray job] is ripe for doing a post-modern restoration - New groupset etc, but keeping the look as retro as possible.

This means I want my first, overdue, Brooks saddle but even the sportier numbers seem to be wide compared to my Specialized saddles. Don't get me wrong; with 145mm sit bones, I normally ride a 155mm saddle, so a wide choice of wide is welcome, it's just that they're soooo much wider.

I'm wondering if there's something I should know?

Cheers,

Russ
B17n (narrow) or a Swallow are the narrow ones, bit more expensive than the B17 but better IMO, my B17n is my favourite (of 6 I own) closely followed by my obsolete B5n

Sharky

Guru
Or something like a San Marco Regal - Looks retro with big brass rivets, but doesn't need breaking in?

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
I understand the breaking in thing. :smile:

Russ
Or something like a San Marco Regal - Looks retro with big brass rivets, but doesn't need breaking in?
I saw those and the Spa Cycles Brooks clones, but in this instance, I just want a Brooks. No rationale beyond I just want one! Same reason I've ordered a Campagnolo Veloce 10spd groupset for it.

Russ

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Brooks saddles need to be wider because of the metal cantle plate at the rear that the leather is riveted to.
You want to have your sit bones on part of the leather that's suspended, not that directly on top of the metal plate.

With standard saddles, you can go closer to the edge without any problem.

Top Bottom