Brooks Saddles - an observation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I won't hammer Brooks, but I've been a teeny bit disappointed. I've had several instances over the years of the ironmongery failing - especially the titanium variant which I think is not up to the job.

My present Swift, a few years old, has over the past few months turned from being a perfect fit to being deuced uncomfortable. A bit of investigation revealed that it had stretched to the point where the leather was touching the wires. Now I've always been very circumspect about turning the nose-bolt - 'very little and not often' as per the received wisdom. On surveying the sorry state of my saddle, I thought, dammit. I gave the saddle a very liberal dose of proofide (not that I've been neglecting this task over the years :wacko:), and gave it a day or two to soak in, to make sure the leather is reasonably supple. Then I tightened up the nose bolt as far as it would go. To hell with all the 'good advice'! As far as I can see I haven't over-stressed the leather - yet, and the saddle is a marginally better ride now. If the leather tears - well I'll just have to get another saddle, and probably not Brooks. xx(

Isn't a Brooks saddle a sign of advancing age?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I got one then B Swiftly got rid of the bleedin' thing:smile:

Mrs rich p likes Terry womens' saddles and so does her minge:ohmy:

p.s.And her name's Terri!!

OP
OP
M

mac1

Aggravating bore magnet
Well, I have to say, I bought one (B190) because it looked nice and most people recommended them. Shame it had a dent in it because it hadn't been packed well so I sent it back to be replaced. This was when the Selle Royal on my Kettler worked fine; then after about 3800 miles, a split in it appeared which got bigger and bits of the gel came out, so a replacement saddle decision was made for me.

Should come this week - hope it feels as good as it looks!

ASC1951

Guru
upsidedown said:
My B17 was comfy from day one, if somebody could reassure me that my new Swift will be comfy one day I would be very grateful.
Mine was from day one, more so than my B17.

I suspect that the Swifts have slightly thinner leather and certainly it is showing a bit more stretching around the rivets than my Brooks saddles from 10 - 30 years ago, all of which I still ride. I accept that I myself have stretched a bit around the rivets, but surely not enough to account for it.

OP
OP
M

mac1

Aggravating bore magnet
661-Pete said:
I won't hammer Brooks, but I've been a teeny bit disappointed. I've had several instances over the years of the ironmongery failing - especially the titanium variant which I think is not up to the job.

My present Swift, a few years old, has over the past few months turned from being a perfect fit to being deuced uncomfortable. A bit of investigation revealed that it had stretched to the point where the leather was touching the wires. Now I've always been very circumspect about turning the nose-bolt - 'very little and not often' as per the received wisdom. On surveying the sorry state of my saddle, I thought, dammit. I gave the saddle a very liberal dose of proofide (not that I've been neglecting this task over the years :o), and gave it a day or two to soak in, to make sure the leather is reasonably supple. Then I tightened up the nose bolt as far as it would go. To hell with all the 'good advice'! As far as I can see I haven't over-stressed the leather - yet, and the saddle is a marginally better ride now. If the leather tears - well I'll just have to get another saddle, and probably not Brooks. ;)

I know they are covered by a 2 year guarantee - did yours fall outside of this? Also, they seem pretty responsive to "constructive criticism" on their webpage; would have thought at any rate, they could offer some advice.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have had a B17 narrow on my Galaxy for nearly 20 years. It was comfortable from day1 and I love it. The saddle on my audax bike is a San Marco Rolls which is also v. comfy.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It is a myth that Brooks saddles break in with use. What really happens is that your arse deforms to fit the saddle, a process so traumatic you turn into a miserable old git who can only satisfy your addiction for self flagellation by riding long distance audax events in terrible weather.

Top Bottom