Brooks saddles on Bromptons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

User66445

Simple question: why are the rails so short? The saddle, bought originally for touring on the Brompton, doesn't go back far enough as the adjustable part rails aren't long enough.

Anyone find a solution, or, more likely, another comfortable saddle which can be adjusted to go back further?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Which Brooks?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Yep. There is a solution!
You can get a setback part that allows what you want. Give me a while and I will find a link....

OP
OP
U

User66445

It's a B17, but most of the rails on Brooks saddles are short.

Fab foodie, thanks for the link, and I found a source so will take a look when I'm in the UK next month.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Brooks saddles were designed in an age of slacker seat tubes, usually 72 deg but as low as 70 deg. Now most bikes are 73 deg, they need a seatpost with plenty of layback. The Pentaclip gives some.

OP
OP
U

User66445

The Brooks is on my touring bike and in regular use. It’s the most comfortable saddle I have.

I rang Brooks yesterday regarding the Brompton and they were really helpful. They couldn’t recommend a leather saddle because of rail length but instead the Cambium all weather C17. Looks to be an interesting option so may go down that path.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Can you let us know where you them please. Somebody else may need one.

Condor claim to have stock

https://www.condorcycles.com/products/brompton-saddle-adaptor-pin-assembly

Joe Brom

Regular
Flipping the saddle mount around will help. Brommies come set up with it facing ahead of the post, which is usually too close to the bars for a Brooks.

OP
OP
U

User66445

Thanks, Joe, I did that. As I indicated above, Brooks seem to accept that the mounting of their leather saddles isn't suitable for all bikes.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I fitted a B17 on my Brommie with out any bother.Using the B17 on another bike now so original saddle back on which is in fact quite good.

12boy

Guru
If you can't get the attachment Fab Foodie is looking for you could consider having your hands further forward. You can do this with bar ends and/or an Aber Hallo, a device that moves the bar forward an inch and a half or so. If you go that route you may replace the handle bar bolt with a QR so you can rotate it if folding becomes a problem. There is a point where going backward changes the way you pedal so further back can result in pushing forward more than down. You might try any modern saddle with more rail length to see if sitting further back is comfortable, at least, before spending a lot of money on other options.

Top Bottom