Brooks Saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gussington

Hi all,
Looking to buy a Brooks saddle to go on my (soon to have) Kona Sutra.

Been looking at the entry level B17, but wondering what benefits are of the more expensive ones and/or where I will find them cheapest!?

Very happy to travel, hunt etc as I love a good bargain!

Anyone..?

BSRU

A Human Being
Spa cycles have lots of Brooks saddles at good prices.
Spa Cycles

I have the flyer special for no other reason than I preferred the look of it.

tyred

Legendary Member
Depends on the bike. Springs are a worthwhile addition if you have an upright riding position.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Google 'Brook B17' and look at the shopping links. Lots of good reputable online shops selling them. I've bought from Spa, SJS, and http://www.leatherbicyclesaddles.co.uk/ in the past.

Which one do you need? Go take a look at Brooks' own websiteand decide from there based on what sort of riding you do. When they say "Road" they mean race

I'm lucky enough to have a B17 shaped bum. Not everyone has such a gift.
Tourer has a Champion Flyer Special, basically a B17 on springs with fancy copper rivets, hence special
Commuter has a B17 Titanium, which I bought pre-owned. The Ti rails make a noticeable difference to the zingyness of the ride
Levelonoir, my audax/credit card tourer, has a B17 special
MTB - has a B17N. N for Narrow. My mtb-er mates think I'm nuts but i'm the one walking, and sitting down, normally after 8 hours on the bikes.

They all work brilliantly, if they fit and once they are broken in. I dispense with padded shorts once the saddle has broken in which takes me less than 100 miles.

Wardy

I can recommend the Brooks Flyer - a bit like a B17 but with springs at the rear. If I was on road only then I would have got the B17 but the Flyer gives that bit of extra "suspension" for uneven cyclepaths.

postman

Legendary Member
A thing of pure beauty .The Angels must have made them .Mine is over 20 years old .(i think).If i could stretch the pocket money.I would have my other two bikes fitted with them .But a Charge Spoon saddle is a very good buy .

+1 for the Charge if it is anything like the Charge Stool on my MTB (the original Boardman saddle being just not right for me at all). As for Brooks, I have a B17 Special on my Brompton and it was comfy from the word go, so I am considering one for my Secteur should the (spare cash) opportunity arise. I would recommend giving a Brooks saddle a try.

Bill

OP
OP
G

gussington

Now thinking B17 special, for the lovely rivets and bar. Planning to do some good distances this year, but most rides are pretty short, so think the spring one will be a step too far.

I've a B17 Narrow on my Road Bike and for my allrounder Genesis Day One have gone with a Flyer the one with springs, and am well impressed with it, especially when out on the Canal Towpaths and the like.

Still its a personal choice so do keep looking and also as said earlier search the web for the best price you can get.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i have a team professional on my cx & flyer on my brommie. i love both but prefer the springy flyer, it makes potholed roads bearable. hope that helps

Manonabike

Über Member
Why don't you try eBay. You might get lucky and find one at a good price.

I have 4 brooks B17 Special, B17 standard, Team Pro and the last arrival (couple of days ago) B67 - I love them all but I will get rid of the Team Pro when I can, it's a beautiful saddle but it does not suit my riding style as well as the others.

suecsi

At the risk of being somewhat personal - what would be considered a 'Brooks' shaped bum?

As I'd thought about putting one on my Brompton later in the year (given the price it is likely a birthday present in June). I do wish they did them in black though (the one that is made specifically for Bromptons).

I don't have that long a commute, and wear padded shorts under my office clothes - but I do sometimes get a bit of a pain in the two bones inside my bottom (I'm sure there is a technical name), towards the end of the commute. I was wondering that if the Brooks saddle is wider at the back, that might be more comfortable for me.

I have adjusted the saddle and it is better than it used to be, when the bike was new the saddle was angled forward more and then I felt the pressure on the front parts.

I think hubby might buy for me as he was quite excited to know Brooks were still going, what with all the companies that have gone. He is 62 and remembers buying a Brooks saddle for his bike back in the 60s, and what great quality it was.

PpPete

Legendary Member
At the risk of being somewhat personal - what would be considered a 'Brooks' shaped bum?

As I'd thought about putting one on my Brompton later in the year (given the price it is likely a birthday present in June). I do wish they did them in black though (the one that is made specifically for Bromptons).

I don't have that long a commute, and wear padded shorts under my office clothes - but I do sometimes get a bit of a pain in the two bones inside my bottom (I'm sure there is a technical name), towards the end of the commute. I was wondering that if the Brooks saddle is wider at the back, that might be more comfortable for me.

I have adjusted the saddle and it is better than it used to be, when the bike was new the saddle was angled forward more and then I felt the pressure on the front parts.

I think hubby might buy for me as he was quite excited to know Brooks were still going, what with all the companies that have gone. He is 62 and remembers buying a Brooks saddle for his bike back in the 60s, and what great quality it was.

The thing with Brooks is that they mould themselves to your contours...those two bones you refer to will make noticeable indentations in the leather over time.

What I suggest (this is a bit cheeky really) is going to Specialized dealer - they can measure the width of those bones by having you sit on a pad of special foam. If they say you need one of their wider saddles (155mm IIRC) then the B17S (ladies model) is probably a good choice. If they say 143 mm (their standard width) then think about a regular B17. If you come up as a "130 mm" in Specialized terms then think about a B17N or a Team Pro.

Don't let the Specialized dealer sell you one of their saddles though.... anything less like my "Body Geometry"... would be hard to imagine.

Top Bottom