Brooks Saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
At the risk of being somewhat personal - what would be considered a 'Brooks' shaped bum?

It's just one that's comfortable on a Brooks saddle. Some bums do, some bums don't...there's a song in there somewhere!

Your bum bones are the sit bones. I guess it's trial and error to find the one you like or don't, I have a B15 Swallow on my race bike and it was super comfy from day one. The commuter bike has a Team Pro Classic and it needed a bit of riding to get used to it.

jann71

Veteran
I've got a B17s (ladies version) bought it in Planet x sale. Much more comfortable than the saddle which came on my Giant road bike.

rb58

Enigma
I've done about 200 miles on my new Brooks B17. It's not comfortable yet - in fact it's a long way from being as comfortable as the San Marco Rolls it is supposed to be replacing. Maybe I don't have the right shaped bum!!

I'm going to give it a couple more weeks and if it hasn't improved by then, someone's going to get an eBay bargain.

Garz

Squat Member
... - in fact it's a long way from being as comfortable as the San Marco Rolls it is supposed to be replacing. Maybe I don't have the right shaped bum!!

I have this saddle now on my new machine but am finding it not as comfortable as it first looked. Am kicking myself I didn't just plump for the brooks now..

lowrider73

Over the last 20 years, I've had Brooks and only the B17 standard and also have the B17 Flyer. Great saddles, once broke in. probably take about 1000 miles to get broke in properly.

lowrider73 is right. You won't, in my opinion, break in a Brooks saddle in just a couple of hundred miles. I have a B17 Special on my Brompton and it is nigh-on perfect but it has taken 12 months and around 2000 miles to get there. It has never been an uncomfortable saddle but you have to 'give it some welly' (I don't pussy-foot about on my commute). Brooks saddles can take a fair amount of punishment so don't be scared of going 'all out'. They are brilliant, pure and simple.

Bill

Davidc

Guru
You can always sell Brooks saddles, often for more than you pay if you buy carefully, so if the B17 isn't comfortable sell it and try a different one!

I'm lucky. I discovered 44 years ago that I have a Brooks shaped bottom. If I need a new serious ride duration saddle I just buy a standard B17 and it's comfortable from the first contact with my backside. No breaking in needed. After 100 miles I don't even notice it's there.

That said - I have had a Charge Spoon on my runaround bike for a couple of weeks and have to admit that for the first time in 40+ years I'm finding a non Brooks saddle comfortable no matter how long I ride it for, and I did get up to 1 1/4 hours continuously last week. I may have to move it onto the tourer for a day long ride to see what it's really like. They are after all less than half the price of a B17 and my present B17 might need replacing one day.

We're all different. My personal nomination for the world's most uncomfortable bike seat would go to the San Marco Rolls, which I tried a couple of years ago, but a lot of people find them very comfortable. Sold that at a profit so not complaining!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm lucky. I discovered 44 years ago that I have a Brooks shaped bottom. If I need a new serious ride duration saddle I just buy a standard B17 and it's comfortable from the first contact with my backside. No breaking in needed. After 100 miles I don't even notice it's there.

That said - I have had a Charge Spoon on my runaround bike for a couple of weeks and have to admit that for the first time in 40+ years I'm finding a non Brooks saddle comfortable no matter how long I ride it for, and I did get up to 1 1/4 hours continuously last week.

I'm with you on the Brooks shaped bum. I read all this stuff about breaking them in and can't identify with it at all. They work from the first contact with my a**e.

But Charge Spoon's, man, I rode my Charge Plug into town the day I got it and was sore before I got to M&S. Off it came. On went a B17.

Bodhbh

Guru
MTB - has a B17N. N for Narrow. My mtb-er mates think I'm nuts but i'm the one walking, and sitting down, normally after 8 hours on the bikes.

Do you use a crudcatcher or mudguards? Reason I ask, is I wondered how well the Brooks copes with getting soaked and covered in **** on the underside. I have a cross bike with a Ti swift/swallow/B17N/i forget which - it's got mudguards on atm and setup for light touring, but tempted to take off the guards and stick some knobblies on it for offroading, but don't want to trash an expensive saddle.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Do you use a crudcatcher or mudguards? Reason I ask, is I wondered how well the Brooks copes with getting soaked and covered in **** on the underside. I have a cross bike with a Ti swift/swallow/B17N/i forget which - it's got mudguards on atm and setup for light touring, but tempted to take off the guards and stick some knobblies on it for offroading, but don't want to trash an expensive saddle.

Prior to fitting the underside of saddle was slathered, and I do mean slathered, in proofhide which was not polished off. Under the saddle is a cunning undersaddle rain/mud shield* I fabricated from an old washing up liquid bottle. Ugly, crude but highly effective once zip tied in place. If it is raining I put a brooks saddle cover on it as well since when off roading one is often not sat on the saddle.

to be absolutley honest though, these days the bike carries a crud catcher since I dislike the "streak o'crap right up me back' look.

*inspired by these

Bodhbh

Guru
Prior to fitting the underside of saddle was slathered, and I do mean slathered, in proofhide which was not polished off. Under the saddle is a cunning undersaddle rain/mud shield* I fabricated from an old washing up liquid bottle. Ugly, crude but highly effective once zip tied in place. If it is raining I put a brooks saddle cover on it as well since when off roading one is often not sat on the saddle.

to be absolutley honest though, these days the bike carries a crud catcher since I dislike the "streak o'crap right up me back' look.

*inspired by these

Okay thanks, so don't risk it. Suppose I have to come up with a similar bodge, it would be really stupid to trash it (even if it means cutting up an old fairy liquid bottle and tiewrapping it to a blingy Ti brooks!).

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Okay thanks, so don't risk it. Suppose I have to come up with a similar bodge, it would be really stupid to trash it (even if it means cutting up an old fairy liquid bottle and tiewrapping it to a blingy Ti brooks!).

like most cbodges of mine, it is entirely invisible once fitted. I'm not entirely sure the zip ties are entirely necessary btw.

Davidc

Guru
I've never had any problems with water on any of my 4 B17s.

Like Greg I do put a load of Proofhide under them before they ever go on the bike. I also put it on top more or less as in the instructions. I always use some form of mudguard so my addles generally don't get saturated from below.

I did lose one B17 to being chewed by a mouse, and proofide didn't stop that.

Hotel (or Boots if pressed) disposable shower caps go on my saddles if they're out in the rain - and not just Brooks ones. I don't like sitting on a wet seat.

I've never tried a Charge Plug so can't comment. The reason for not even thinking about a Brooks on the runaround is that I wouldn't leave a £50 saddle on it in some of the places it gets parked. Its original saddle got vandalised, and I'll stand £20 occasionally if it happens again.

nickb

Guru
My first 'racing bike' cost my parents £28 from Halfords in 1969. It was a gift for passing my 11+.

Now I know Halfords have a bad rep these days, but back then they sold some decent bikes and although I can't remember the make of this thing what I remember most was the brown Brooks saddle it came equipped with. I rode that thing for years all around Gloucestershire and never had a sore arse.

It finally got nicked from outside the Welsh Harp pub in Gloucester around 1981. Wish I still had it :sad:

snailracer

Über Member
It finally got nicked from outside the Welsh Harp pub in Gloucester around 1981. Wish I still had it :sad:
I have a Brooks Flyer, the one with springs. The other day I found it had a nice advantage - there is enough clearance between the rails and seat to pass a chunky chain through it, securing both the bike and saddle at the same time :smile:

Top Bottom