Brooks Swift or B17

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jim77

I am weighing up whether to get a new saddle and have decided on a Brooks'.

Can't decide between a B17 or a Swift. Swift is 3 times the price. Is it worth it? I am a recreational cyclist but not a sports one. I have a Cannondale Bad Boy 700.

Cheers.

hodsgod

I haven't got one, but mate of mine fitted a B17 about 18 months ago. He has just stopped complaining about the pain. As far as I can see his saddle hasn't worn in, probably the other way round.

Good luck!

jonesy

Guru
I've got three Brooks B17s now; they've replaced all my other saddles. I find them far more comfortable than anything else I've tried and I had no problems wearing them in. But other people have a quite different experience.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I have the Team pro and the champion (B17 with a better finish)

They are both very comfortable, however, the Team pro it's a better looking saddle.

If you buy one and you are not one of those lucky people that don't need to brake the saddle in then you must be prepared to give the braking in process a little time. 500 miles for the Team Pro and 200 miles for the Champion (B17) in my case.

I hope that helps

Rick

Ivan Ardon

Functionally, there's little difference in it. Only you can say if the bling factor is worth the extra cost, no-one else is all that interested.

FWIW I've got a B17 special on my hybrid (I liked the look of the copper rails for just a few quid extra), and it is indeed lovely to ride once you've spent some time getting the adjustment just right.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have a B17 narrow on my tourer and it is sooo comfortable. They do take a little while to break in, and they need a little maintainance, ie tensioning and proofing, but a real Brooks saddle is worth it.

Big T

Guru
I think the only difference is that the Swift has titanium rails, so it's lighter but much more expensive. I've got a B17 standard and have no complaints. It's now nicely broken in and like sitting in an armchair.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
mjones said:
I've got three Brooks B17s now; they've replaced all my other saddles. I find them far more comfortable than anything else I've tried and I had no problems wearing them in. But other people have a quite different experience.
I'm on my second... and I'd by another. Excellent value, last for Donkeys years and I find them perfect from day one.
If uncertain which model, go for the B17 at the lower cost to see if the Brooks experience is for you. Available for under £30 if you look around. Bargain.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I bought an unused Swift second hand and was deeply disappointed with it; it was heavy and crude and looked like it had been built by a medieval chastity belt maker. It was also grossly uncomfortable so I resold it for the same money.

Tynan

Veteran
never sure about all this, I've found most saddles I've used fine, they're only for a level of support after all, suspect people have blamed the saddle fof posture/setup problems

yeah for the tourers I guess

domtyler

Über Member
Brooks are built to last, not for featherweight performance.

I have three different saddles on three different bikes, I wouldn't dream of sticking a Brooks on my carbon race bike for instance, but on the old winter bike it's perfect.

Mine was comfy from day one btw.

Other saddles are:

Spesh Toupe: 10/10
Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow: 9/10

ASC1951

Guru
I've had a couple of B17s, which have been comfortable from out of the box and in one case has outlasted the bike.

I've got a Ti Swift on my best bike at the moment. It's even more comfortable than the B17 but after 5 years is beginning to age and probably won't last another five. Given that it costs only as much as a tank and a half of diesel, ten years' use instead of twenty isn't a huge issue for me.

They are both great saddles IMO.

Top Bottom