Brriing - Brriing bell for Brompton ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The Knog Oi is notorious for failing after a short time when the striker spring gives up the ghost. Read the reviews on Amazon etc. It costs about £20 but it's crapola.

(Updated) The new Luxe model looks to have addressed the durability problem but is far heavier and costs more - and Knog still sell the original type, so beware.

Last edited:

ExBrit

Über Member
Spurcycle. The original, not a cheap copy. Expensive but worth it. https://www.spurcycle.com/ Not bring-bring but louder and friendlier than any other bell I know.
Thanks for that link. I just bought one of their Frankenbells. I love the idea of rescuing something from the bin and making a charitable donation at the same time. I hope it has plenty of "character" when it arrives.

berlinonaut

Veteran
The Knog Oi is notorious for failing after a short time when the striker spring gives up the ghost. Read the reviews on Amazon etc. It costs about £20 but it's crapola.
I supported their Kickstarter campaign for the Oi back in the days. The bell is complete crap. Nice to look at, but that is the only positive thing to say. As a bell it is completly useless. A "sound" that is unnoticable (as you will notice in the sound comparison I linked earlier), and that's just one of many disappointments with that bell. Avoid.

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
I'm very happy with the large 3" diameter traditional ding doing bell I bought in Halford earlier in the year. Loud enough to wake up the dead and seems to be well made. I can't remember the exact price but I thought it cheap enough for a decent product.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Btw. my second best choice after the spurcycle and coming into play as a (much) lower budget solution is the Mounty Charly. It is very loud and works very well. I still do like the spurcycle better but the Mounty is close in terms of effect at a fraction of the cost and I do use it on a couple of bikes. Did however not use it on a Brompton yet as they have all been spurcycled. ^_^ https://www.kurbelix.de/mounty-fahrradklingel-charly-super-laut-alu-schwarz.

roley poley

Über Member
Oh my the Pinger thumb clapper thingy has just disappeared off my kong oi !!..so it's back to coughing ,whistling and voice on my tow path pedestrian avoidance tactics ..jinx or what:wacko:

Kell

Veteran
I have to say that I missed having a bell last weekend as I went for a ride with the missus along a towpath. My MTB has hope hubs which have a notoriously loud freewheel. So I tended to just stop pedalling as I got nearer and the ultra loud "tick-tick-tick" mostly did the trick.

However, a bell would be better so thanks to @berlinonaut for the link to the Mounty Charly - ordered a couple. Fancied the Frankenbell, but couldn't justify that price.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I have to say that I missed having a bell last weekend as I went for a ride with the missus along a towpath. My MTB has hope hubs which have a notoriously loud freewheel. So I tended to just stop pedalling as I got nearer and the ultra loud "tick-tick-tick" mostly did the trick.
Now there's an idea. Get a screw-on freewheel hub and space it to Brompton width. Add a White Industries singlespeed freewheel (expensively noisy) and voilà! The only drawback is that the minimum tooth count is 16T, so you'd want a 58T chainring.

Top Bottom