Brriing - Brriing bell for Brompton ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev

Guru
I was just having a rummage through Mrs Tenkaykev’s drawers and found a brand new bell.( and a couple of ALDI / LIDL style light sets ) 🤔
It’s quite compact and makes quite a loud “ ding ding “
A quick look online shows that they’re £3.50 and come in several colours 👍
B1BC50C9-9D01-45FF-9E92-65A03C7675C5.jpeg

OP
OP
Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev

Guru
I was just having a rummage through Mrs Tenkaykev’s drawers and found a brand new bell.( and a couple of ALDI / LIDL style light sets ) 🤔
It’s quite compact and makes quite a loud “ ding ding “
A quick look online shows that they’re £3.50 and come in several colours 👍 View attachment 602783
Bell fitted to Mrs Tenkaykev's 2020 S6L. it fits snugly next to the existing bell/brake assembly and is easily operated. It's a massive improvement on the stock "ping" bell, giving a two stroke " ding ding " at a much higher volume. Looking at the brake / bell assembly, removing the existing bell would allow for it to sit even closer to the grip.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Well I like the bell but the mount is rubbish. It just flops around on my 7/8" Brommie bars and even on my road bike with a 1" bar it won't stay in place. Am I doing something wrong?
Strange - I do have a couple of Spurcycle bells and do not suffer from that issue. If they did not change the mount there should be two or three steel bands of different lengths in the package, suiting the different bar diameters. What can go wrong is misplacing the end of the band while mounting. If it does not hook below the bell at the intended point the bell will still sit on the bar but you may end up with the issue you describe. I'd recommend unmounting the bell and try to sorrowfully remounting it, checking where the end of the steel band sits.

ExBrit

Über Member
It came with two bands - one for 1" and one for 1 1/8". I'm using the 1" band on a 1" bar but it's no good. Looks like the only thing holding the bell in place is the springiness of the band. Any vibration and it just flops down. Does anyone have a photo of the bell mounted successfully?

Thanks

Kell

Veteran
There are a lot of modern clamps that use the tension in the rubber to do this. Many don't work IME. I've often had to use a band on inner tube underneath to give it something to grip to. And in the case of my front lights, buy a mechanical clamp instead.

Kell

Veteran
I have to say that I missed having a bell last weekend as I went for a ride with the missus along a towpath. My MTB has hope hubs which have a notoriously loud freewheel. So I tended to just stop pedalling as I got nearer and the ultra loud "tick-tick-tick" mostly did the trick.

However, a bell would be better so thanks to @berlinonaut for the link to the Mounty Charly - ordered a couple. Fancied the Frankenbell, but couldn't justify that price.

My missus had already bought a bell from Halfords in the meantime. Here's how they compare.

View: https://youtu.be/qIalVNtlY9U

ExBrit

Über Member
So - total apology to Spurcycle bells. I misread the instructions (my eyesight is not what it used to be) and thought I had to adjust the tightness by turning the bell. Didn't seem to work. There's a 2.5mm Allan bolt at the top that tightens the mount beautifully. I couldn't see it without my super powerful glasses.

berlinonaut

Veteran
So - total apology to Spurcycle bells. I misread the instructions (my eyesight is not what it used to be) and thought I had to adjust the tightness by turning the bell. Didn't seem to work. There's a 2.5mm Allan bolt at the top that tightens the mount beautifully. I couldn't see it without my super powerful glasses.
So how do you like the bell now? :whistle:

ExBrit

Über Member
I like it. Best sounding bell I've ever owned. I was rooting through my various bicycle spares looking for a tire lever and found two old bells. This sounds better than either of them. Thanks.
Lesson learned - if you can't read the printed manual, look online for a zoomable pdf version. :blush:

12boy

Guru
I've tried to use brass Crane bells, but they don't seem to cut through people's conversations or earbuds. Too bad, as they would be more convenient than bellowing "Behind you". I used to howl " On your left" but then they would jump left about 1/2 the time.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've tried to use brass Crane bells, but they don't seem to cut through people's conversations or earbuds. Too bad, as they would be more convenient than bellowing "Behind you". I used to howl " On your left" but then they would jump left about 1/2 the time.
I've got Crane bell on one of my bikes too.

I find that it or any of the other "ping" bells don't cut the mustard. A traditional "ding doing" Bell is much better and more effective. The bigger, the better generally speaking.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I've got Crane bell on one of my bikes too. I find that it or any of the other "ping" bells don't cut the mustard."

Which bell are you talking about? Crane do produce a variety of bells from Spurcycle clones over nicely crafted "traditional ping bells" up to individual bell designs. So I'd assume that the different crane bells probably sound and behave differently. Personally I do own a brass "Mini Suzu" which is really beautiful, but in terms of sound is no better than the cheap classic ping bell I had on my racing bike back in the 80ies - rather disappointing regarding effectiveness in practice on the streets.

Still I do have my doubts regarding "any ping bell does not cut the mustard" - there are so many bells and bell producers around and I highly doubt you've personally tested all of them. The Spurcycle is a ping bell and it is brilliant (though expensive). The Mounty Charly is a ping bell and it is very good. To name just two examples that conflict with your statement. Also I'd not agree with your follow-up-statement:
A traditional "ding doing" Bell is much better and more effective. The bigger, the better generally speaking.
There are some good bells of that category, too but the majority leaves a lot to be desired in terms of effectiveness. And those that do work are typically rather huge and heavy which seems not very desirable, especially not on a Brompton. I do prefer the Spurcycle and the Mounty Charly over them for a lot of reasons.

Last edited:
Top Bottom