Brushing your teeth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I've always brushed my teeth with warm water.

Why? because my logic is that I shower with warm water and wash dishes with warm water, so brushing teetch with warm water will give best results too.

Mrs MM, constantly tells me I should use cold water. She can't explain why, but recalls that her dentist told her so when she was young.

What are your experiences and does one temperature have benefits over the other?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I was told to brush your teeth with just the paste, no water, as it will prevent the paste from sticking properly.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I can't imagine it makes any difference; if you wave a toothbrush loaded with toothpaste under a cold tap, a couple of drops of water might stick to it and in a couple of seconds the water will warm up to the temperature of your mouth. I expect toothpaste manufacturers take care to formulate the product for use at a range of temperatures.

What is more important is a good oral hygiene routine, rinsing or flossing after meals and even using one of those inter-dental brushes from time to time.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just plain old toothypaste.. no water until rinse.

Mrs Ian drives me nuts by leaving the tap running whilst brushing her teeth.. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
When you've finished brushing your teeth, do you spit or swallow?
smile.gif

Arch

Married to Night Train
I thought that warm water wasn't good to swallow due to it having sat for a while in a tank, rather than 'fresh' from the pipe...but I guess that could be a load of cobblers now I think about it.

Me too.

Anyway, warm water 'tastes' wrong.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I'm so glad you raised this important topic; it's been overlooked far too long.

I thought that warm water wasn't good to swallow due to it having sat for a while in a tank, rather than 'fresh' from the pipe...but I guess that could be a load of cobblers now I think about it.

Hot water tanks should be brought up to at least 60C every so often, and that's supposed to kill off any nasties living in them... But I prefer cold water. Leaves your mouth feeling nice and fresh.

(I nearly put 'leaves your moth feeling nice and fresh'. But that's another thread).

No need for water or indeed toothpaste really. Just makes it taste better and adds a few chemicals.

I hate using toothpaste - I hate all the froth and the soapy taste. But brushing with plain water doesn't remove the staining you get on your teeth from drinking too much tea. Toothpaste contains a mild abrasive, so for a really dazzling smile, you need to use it at least now and again.

When you've finished brushing your teeth, do you spit or swallow?
smile.gif

Spit. Every time.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Warmwater for teeth brushing is vile.

I read once that brushing your teeth was the third most effective method, first is chewing a stick and second was using a bit of towel over your finger and rubbing it across your teeth.

ASC1951

Guru
I read once that brushing your teeth was the third most effective method, first is chewing a stick and second was using a bit of towel over your finger and rubbing it across your teeth.
I assume that's for hand brushing. Powered tooth brushing is much more effective. In general I'm anti-gadget, but with the powered rotary action it's easier to reach the whole of the tooth, as well as the non-dominant side of your mouth.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I assume that's for hand brushing. Powered tooth brushing is much more effective. In general I'm anti-gadget, but with the powered rotary action it's easier to reach the whole of the tooth, as well as the non-dominant side of your mouth.

Yes, I read that in a fascinating fact type of book about 30 years ago :smile:. I use an electric toothbrush now and although I have no evidence or proof I bet it's more effective than a stick or a towel.

J-Lo

Aslong as you brush them with toothpaste im sure it doesn't matter. My old dentist used to try and sell everyone mouthwash (which I use religiously - the stuff with fluoride and without alcohol mind you!), and now my new dentist says no-one should use mouthwash at all, nevermind the brand. I think they each make there own things up...

Top Bottom