BRVR - Goats League - Climb 3- James Canyon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Staying in Colorado USA, for this weeks ride which is James Canyon. Dropping the difficulty level down from last week (from 6 to 4), although it is longer at 11.2Km and a few more meters of ascent.

Post your times in the thread and I'll update the Goats League Spreadsheet

Please include your BRVR User/Display Name to give other riders pacers to chase if they so desire.

A few of you may be wondering how I select the ride. I simply reduce my FTP in the App to around 200W, then in theapp I set the difficulty level to 3 or more, Ride time down to 90 minutes or less, sort by difficulty, and then choose something that I like the look of the profile.

I'm open to ride suggestions / bribery :rofl:

Last edited:

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw

theboxers

Oh heck :sad::sweat:

1522672335003128527597.jpg

Edit to add......

This will be my first BRVR climb on the kickr. Wish me luck....:bicycle::sweat::bicycle::sweat::bicycle::sweat::sweat::sweat:

Last edited:

borchgrevink

Staying in Colorado USA, for this weeks ride which is James Canyon. Dropping the difficulty level down from last week (from 6 to 4), although it is longer at 11.2Km and a few more meters of ascent.

Post your times in the thread and I'll update the Goats League Spreadsheet

Please include your BRVR User/Display Name to give other riders pacers to chase if they so desire.

A few of you may be wondering how I select the ride. I simply reduce my FTP in the App to around 200W, then in theapp I set the difficulty level to 3 or more, Ride time down to 90 minutes or less, sort by difficulty, and then choose something that I like the look of the profile.

I'm open to ride suggestions / bribery :rofl:

What about Grimsel pass?

OP
OP
Aleman

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
39:12 for me, didn't average 4W/Kg :sad:

theboxers

how did it feel on neew machine ? much difference ?
Odd. Yes and no.

Odd in the sense that I'm getting used to a new trainer. The kickr is a little harder to get going, at any grade, even negative ones. But once up to speed it seems easier to keep it there :unsure:.

Much difference. Yes it will stall you out if it senses the need to up resistance for a set power level, the max resistance is far greater than a classic or pro. However is seem to be slightly easier on the higher gradients with the cassette I have installed 11-42, I use 1st (36/42, yes that is the right way round) for gradients above 7 or 8% on the pro or classic it was >6%. I get penalised on both bkool and BRVR for my inability to put out the power needed to maintain the correct/real speed, they both drop the registered speed to match weight-power. I averaged 193W on this climb according to BRVR with the Kickr, about where I expected to be :smile:.

On the whole pleasantly surprised by the way it worked, but fearful of where it may go in a workout/trainer road type scenario.

I'll try to join the CG ride tomorrow to see how badly I do :cry:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
That’s good news in the whole then :thumbsup:
Have you tried little sharp bursts of power ? I can’t kick out the watts that others can but I do like trying a 5 second charge say every minute till it gets to me - sure that helps
Good luck in bkool , I don’t know if it will be the same for you but I get penalised big time in bkool if not on their trainer - but makes you work harder:B)

theboxers

That’s good news in the whole then :thumbsup:
Have you tried little sharp bursts of power ? I can’t kick out the watts that others can but I do like trying a 5 second charge say every minute till it gets to me - sure that helps
Good luck in bkool , I don’t know if it will be the same for you but I get penalised big time in bkool if not on their trainer - but makes you work harder:B)
Inreases of 30-50 are hard but not too hard. Anything over that is almost like kicking a wall, a sudden stop. I've tried a couple of routes in bkool and they certainly beat you up if you don't keep the power on.

I may need to jump onto trainer road or :unsure::sad::blush: zwift to try out some workouts which is where the kickr seems happiest. It works on BRVR and Bkool, but at the moment something doesn't seem right, I'm not sure what though. However I'm comparing apple, oranges and bananas with the trainers.

More experimentation needed :dry:.

Top Bottom