BSA Tour de France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know that this bike is nothing special and the paintwork is in a bit of a state but I have started to feel a bit sorry for it.
I originally bought it as a donor for parts for my Carlton, some of which could go back on as I up grade it. The colour tomato soup orange is not my favourite, I think I would prefer a redder shade.
I was thinking of possibly building the frame back up and using it as a spare and swapping wheels over from my other bikes when I feel like a change.

Attachments

• BSA tour d F 006.JPG
    BSA tour d F 006.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 277
  • BSA tour d F 007.JPG
    BSA tour d F 007.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 205

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Give it some love.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I know that this bike is nothing special and the paintwork is in a bit of a state but I have started to feel a bit sorry for it.
I originally bought it as a donor for parts for my Carlton, some of which could go back on as I up grade it. The colour tomato soup orange is not my favourite, I think I would prefer a redder shade.
I was thinking of possibly building the frame back up and using it as a spare and swapping wheels over from my other bikes when I feel like a change.

looks fine to me , it just needs building and riding

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that I am going to scrap it. It looked scruffy on bay but when I collected it I thought it had potential although a bit heavy.

It seems as though it has had little use despite it being 38 years old. The teeth on the chain rings look fine as do the handlebars and levers. The paintwork has suffered a bit as though it might have been stored in a damp shed.
Reading on the net some people have slagged them as being heavy, made of gas pipe where as others have fond memories of them being their first racing bike.
It will be interesting to find out how it rides.
The image shows how the bike looked with a couple of wheels on.

Attachments

• 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 248

arch684

Veteran
DSCF2255.JPG
my tour of britain

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Hello, thread resurrection and hijack in one go.

About 30 minutes ago I was just given this BSA complete bike, it's in a bit of a 2 n 8 , but everything works, the tyres are shot, but I pumped them up , put the chain back on, it's no that worn raised the saddle ( the seat post was not seized) and rode it round the village. Apart from a bulge in rear tyre a rode fine. So, now what to do with it, i'm thinking give it a clean, some new bar tape, a pair of socks n boots, Bob should be ya muvver's bruvver. What say you CC'rs?

Any idea what year this was from '77 -'78?

(You may recall last Feb, I tried and failed to resuscitate my neighbour, this was his bike, his lovely wife told me to take or it's going down the skip. )

@Illaveago what did you do with yours in the end.

BSA1.JPG
BSA2.JPG
BSA3.JPG
BSA4.JPG
BSA5.JPG
BSA6.JPG

Top Bottom