BSA Tour de France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Just taken a photo of the serial number on the BB, it means nothing to me.

455AF94E-30E5-420C-A776-9B312345D062.jpeg

WN600 1856 with an upturned K on the 1. Looks like an R by the end of the downtube and a small l nearest the chain stays.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member

Cavalol

Guru
I remember the Tour de France model was yellow and the Tour of Britain model blue...

The TdF was also available in blue (as pictured elsewhere on this thread) and my ToB is metallic green. I did briefly have a blue TdF, shouldn't have sold it, as I have a bit of thing for BSA cycles.
Anyhow, currently have three orange TdFs (one mint, one rough, one incomplete/parts only) plus the ToB. I always wanted an orange TdF, because my brother had one in the seventies and would never let me ride it, until one year when he went to uni he left it unchained and I had the ride of my life on it! The mint one was a fantastic chance find, drove past a second hand shop not far from me and it was outside for sale. Couldn't get back there quick enough to buy it, it's absolutely my dream bike in every respect. Probably a bit sad, should aspire to a carbon Bianchi or something, but these BSAs are my personal holy grail.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Ps, Carl if that one of yours ever comes up for sale PLEASE give me first dibs, thanks.
It’s highly unlikely that it’ll be for sale, I intend to spruce it up and use it, though it might be a bit small for me. I measured it and theoretically it should fit but it felt a bit small on the short ride i had. It may need tweaking.

If I do sell it I’ll let you have first refusal.

I’d be interested to see photos of your bikes, especially the green one.

Are the ToB frames the same as the TdF?

Cavalol

Guru

Cavalol

Guru
This was the blue one (should have kept it)

17811298459_72b3d49e73_b.jpg bsa tdf 4 by Billy P, on Flickr

My really tidy one...
16669113407_957f07032a_b.jpg BSA Tour de France b by Billy P, on Flickr

Not compared the two (Britain and France) would just guess they are different frames. Need to get both out for a ride really, had very pleasant 4 miler on the Britain, not been on it for a long, long time though.

*Edit: the seat on the France is absolutely minging and if it hasn't been replaced yet, it soon will be.

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
This was the blue one (should have kept it)

View attachment 428535 bsa tdf 4 by Billy P, on Flickr

My really tidy one...
View attachment 428536 BSA Tour de France b by Billy P, on Flickr

Not compared the two (Britain and France) would just guess they are different frames. Need to get both out for a ride really, had very pleasant 4 miler on the Britain, not been on it for a long, long time though.

*Edit: the seat on the France is absolutely minging and if it hasn't been replaced yet, it soon will be.

Nice bikes.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The mint one was a fantastic chance find, drove past a second hand shop not far from me and it was outside for sale. Couldn't get back there quick enough to buy it, it's absolutely my dream bike in every respect. Probably a bit sad, should aspire to a carbon Bianchi or something, but these BSAs are my personal holy grail.

I'd have probably done the same. Nothing sad at all about liking old steel bikes. You can keep your carbon Bianchis. and carbon anything else, I'll always choose a proper bike rather than a plastic one any day , even a gas pipe 3-speed.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Ooops! I had forgotten I had started this post! Sorry! I think my mind has been busy on other things.
So! It was one of those days when you have some spare time left on your hands that I thought that it wouldn't take much to put it back together so that it was rideable. Wrong!
Well a rummage through my spares revealed some of the parts that I required. I had bought a spare set of Weinmann centre pulls so I didn't have to take the original ones off the bike I had fitted them on. Things were going well. I had fitted new bearings in the bottom bracket and fitted the new brakes and the next thing was to borrow some wheels. QR wheels are so handy! In they went. Next thing connect up the cables and fit the brake blocks. This is when I had a problem! The drop was different on the front. Panic! Rummage, rummage. I came up with a solution. I took the handlebars , stem and levers off and swapped them for another set which had Shimano levers and a front brake calliper fitted. The Shimano brake calliper had the right drop for the front but not the rear.
So with a chain fitted it looked like a real bike again.
I was in a rush to get out and test it. I didn't have a lever for the front derailleur so I was just going to use one chain ring. Off I set along a cycle path. It felt really nice . Even the saddle with the chamois leather fitted felt comfortable. Everything was going smoothly until I got to a roundabout. As I moved off round the roundabout I felt a jerk and heard a bang! I continued round the roundabout until it was safe to stop. It felt strange. I looked down. The pedal had come off it's axle. I went and collected the pedal and then thought about what to do. I decided to push on regardless. It did feel really strange with my foot slipping off the axle now and then, but I was enjoying the ride despite this.
I think I did 4 miles on my first ride despite my foot slipping off the pedal. I was having fun.
I have since used the bike a few more times and it has also been used as a testbed for some ally mudguards that I made. I have also made a plastic wing nut to repair the front lever.
IMGP7383.JPG
IMGP7167.JPG

Attachments

• IMGP7168.JPG
    IMGP7168.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMGP7177.JPG
    IMGP7177.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMGP7178.JPG
    IMGP7178.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 35